ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 135 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
I'm hunting for a ground-rod pounder bit to fit my DeWalt corded rotary-hammer drill. Local parts-house quoted me $77.00 for the DeWalt 3/4" spline (DW 5785). That was a bit (ar-ar) more than i was hoping to spend. Any thoughts by anyone else?

G
Attic Rat,

Do you think the Bosch boom-box sounds better than the Milwaukee? Personally, I thought the Bosch sounds very tinny, where the Milwaukee with the Rockford/Fosgate speakers just sounds like thumping heaven on earth. [Linked Image]

That said, when the last of my Milwaukee 18V tools croak, I am going to line them up and drive over them with my van with extreme prejudice. Well, maybe not. But I won't be replacing them with Milwaukee again.

I've decided that Ryobi will be just fine. 1/2 the price, lasts as long, more money for beer. [Linked Image]

-George
Cat Servant
Tripp, that price sounds correct.

F
Tripp, I have the same Dewalt rotary hammer. I bought a chisel for it on clearance for $10.00 and took it to the welding shop where we cut off the chisel end and slid a piece of 1" rigid 10" long over the shank about 4" and welded it with low alloy/low hydrogen rod. The chisel end does the driving on the rod and the pipe acts as a guide. It has worked great for 5 years now and I have about $30.00 invested.

D
The advantage of the higher end tools, I've found is also their disadvantage. Milwaukee and Dewalt are so powerful that they and their batteries are easily destroyed when you push them beyond what a cordless should do.

When my milwaukee set dies, I'll go w/ ryobi. Less than half the cost, a great value. I bought a set for my dad for fathers day and he uses it every day professionally. Yes my milwaukee can out drill it, but should it? If the ryobi can't do it, its time to get out the corded drill.

T
Sounds like a good creative solution, Fred. But explain this part to me again: you say you cut off the chisel end, then later you say the chisel end does the driving on the rod." What did I miss?

Also, my DeWalt is the smaller size - only takes up to 1" bit. Same with yours?

F
Tripp, We cut off the chisel end of the shank leaving the hex shank as long as possible and welded the 1" pipe overlapping the shank. I should have said the shank end drives the rod. My Dewalt is the DW531. Bits are spline and chisels and bullpoints are hex.

D
I guess it's your luck of the actual tool. I've had my 19.2V Craftsman cordless for over a year now and use it everyday. Same batteries, same drill, hasn't crapped out yet. Yes, it is 90-day warranty, but if you buy the extended warranty for about $15 more, they'll replace the unit entirely for 2 years, you can't go wrong with that.

T
Thanks for the explanation, Fred.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard