ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
ckeck Offline OP
Hey everyone, its about that time to purchase some new power tools and I was just looking for recommendations.

I would prefer DeWalt or Craftsman, but I can't decide between the two. Anyone have a preference one way or the other?

Thanks

T
My corded tools are Porter-Cable and my cordless tools are Panasonic. I'd replace them with the same.

Dave

I
Personally I think very highly of Milwaukee tools. I've always had good luck with them. As for your question I'd go with DeWalt. 'had good luck with them too. I have had some Craftsman power tools that were down right junk. For instance, I got my dad a Craftsman cordless drill for father's day once. Would you believe the battery took a crap after only a few months. Turns out they don't warranty power tools like their hand tools and a new battery was almost the cost of a new drill. I told them where they could go and bought him a DeWalt. Been quite a few years and it still runs strong with the original battery.
Just my $.02

E
go with De Walt...sears is JUNK 90 day warranty and you'll be using it! De Walt has a MUCH better customer service.
i like the porter cable and bosch corded tools.
milwaukee tools,unfortunately,seem to have losing in the quality dept. lately.
bill

C
ckeck Offline OP
Looks like I will be going with DeWalt. Doesn't seem to be many people happy with the Craftsman power tools. I was considering them because they are my favorite hand tools...glad I checked.

Thanks for the input everyone...if anyone else has any additional input, please chime in.

S
I'd go with DeWalt. They have a fine line of power tools. The cordless 14.4 drill I have now has lasted over 3 years and I've never had a problem with it. DeWalt also has that cool radio that charges batteries while it's plugged in. That unto itself is a great feature. My hand tools are all Klein. No sense wasting money on junky tools if being an electrician is your primary source of income.

M
Any recommendation would depend on exactly which tools you're looking for. I'm less than keen on Craftsman power tools for professional use. By and large they're made by the same company that makes tools for Ryobi. They may be fine for DIYer or occasional use but aren't engineered for professional use. I haven't bought a new DeWalt tool in maybe 10 years but haven't heard a lot of good things about them lately.

So what tools are you looking to buy?

Cat Servant
I have a few general guidelines when it comes to deciding what to buy.

If I have to borrow it more than twice...it's time to get my own.

I try to have a different brand or model than everyone else...makes it harder for them to get mixed up.

When trying out a new type of tool, I will usually get a cheap import POS....just to see if the thing is worth having. If the concept prooves out, I get a quality version. Thenh the POS is relegated to home/ spare/ lending use.

I'm not averse to making (or modifying) tools to suit my specific work.

As far as power tools are concerned, there is a lot to be said for trying to get tools which use the same charger (good) or batttery (better). For this to work, you need to anticipate your future tool needs- will you really need that cordless angle grinder? What about a small vacuum?

Be extremely wary of marketing hype.....some of those Madison Avenue types are so slick, they can give an Eskimo the urge to run out and buy the "new and improved" snow! Some of this is blatant....as in ads, while some is quite subtle. There is a reason everything at Sears is shiny, and wrapped so nice!

I also play down any kind of "brand loyalty." Often a company will have an excellent tool...as well as a mediocre tool....and a piece of junk!

B
Reno,there is a battery drill by a company called Fesstool. These are expensive battery drills and I think they are only 12 volt but seem to be awesome. I saw a carpenter with these and he told me he bought 12 for all his guys. I think they are like 450.00 or something. I thought they were great but I had just bought a Milwaukee kit. Maybe when it's time to replace. Although I do have the Milwaukee radio now.

S
I finally took the plunge and bought the cordless milwaukee bandsaw with the V-28 battery. I fell in love the first day I had it. Its just like have the corded one without the hassle of the cord. Some of the other guys have bought the four piece milwaukee v-28 kit and they swear by them as well. I haven't used them yet personally but if they are anything like the bandsaw they must be pretty darn good.

I do like Dewalt as well because they have such a variety of tools for the 18v series. My truck is completly cordless except for the hole hawg (still waiting for that one.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard