ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#54914 08/11/05 08:38 PM
Bought a few water coolers before I found that the circuit (120 volt) was connected to the red leg/high leg/bastard leg. Guy that installed it was sent packing.

Fell off scissor lift that I raised to throw debris into dumpster as I got off without lowering the platform; reverse 90 degree gainer dive. (28 stiches in my head)

And on & on & on......

John

John
#54915 08/12/05 12:14 PM
Cat Servant
You had to start this thread, didn't you!

I just ran t-stat wire to the evaporator instead of the condenser....what was I thinking!

#54916 08/13/05 08:56 AM
E
Not guilty on all charges your honor. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 08-13-2005).]

#54917 08/13/05 10:30 AM
Tom Offline
I was changing out some panelboards at the local volunteer fire department. One of them was a 120/240 delta. Shooting the breeze with a couple of fireman while connecting up the circuits. Not paying attention, I just plugged in all those single pole breakers in a line. Luckily, I only melted their VCR, for some reason, it didn't get along very well with the 208 volts.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#54918 08/14/05 04:36 AM
M
This one isn't mine (ahthought I've had hundreds)

We just bought a new F150 this past week.

The first day, the guy who gets the new truck carefully parked it in the lot away from all the other trucks. 3 minutes later, several of us see one of our other guys back out our old bucket truck and slam into the front of the new pickup. He wasn't expecting a truck to be there since we all park on the other side of the lot.

The guy who has been waiting years for a new truck ran out of the shop cussing and screaming. If he wasn't 5'3, I think somebody might have gotten hurt.

We'll get it fixed.

#54919 08/14/05 02:51 PM
M
driving along in a scissor lift, one of our guys found out why you should lock the slider in. He headed down a reamp top an overhead door, the brakes caught to slow the lift and the slider kept going.

-----------------------------

Setting on a conveyor belt working on the moror above me, had someone else force the motor on. Yep he got the worng one, I went about 30 feet beofre he heard me yelling (lost my radio).

----------------------------

Like anybody I could go on and on, I keep a set of punches in my toolbox from a die I was setting up once to remind me to think. A .375 die will not go through a .365 hole even with a 300 ton mechincal ram behind it.

#54920 08/14/05 06:36 PM
L
I remember once when out doing a service call alone .Before leaving shop was told "remember to tie off the ladder"
well was only going to be on the roof for a minute or two. Yep - you got it. Ladder not tied off , Electrician on roof , as ladder falls over ! To make matters worse no radio or phone, Just me yelling for somebody to call the number on the side of the truck.

#54921 08/14/05 09:58 PM
E
I was drilling near a panel 30+ circuits worth of romex stapled to the surrounding joists, so I was very careful to check the backside and move the romex out of the way, forgot to do so on the 5th joist and hit two live peices of romex

Doing electrical demo I cut both phases of a live 208 volt 40 amp circuit while standing on a 10 foot stepladder, it turns out that there were three panel feeding the place and I had thought it was safe because I had turned the main in what I thought was the only one off

putting up some light fixtures, screwed the threaded post that holds the shade up to far into the bar and only got a few threads on the nut, it stays in place anyway, few weeks later family is eating dinner and CRASH! shade comes down and dents dinning room table, customers were nice enough to pay for damages as long as we come out and re-hang the (amazingly unbroken) light shade

[This message has been edited by Elviscat (edited 08-14-2005).]

#54922 08/14/05 11:29 PM
H
I had a job to replace 6-strings of batteries in a 10,00 amp telephone power plant. We had finished 5 strings over a period of six weeks, and we had the last string ready to go on charge at 6 AM on the last day. Everyone was a little bleary eyed after working all night, and it was my task to connect this last string to the 800 amp MG set we used for a charger. I connected the 4/0 charge leads, started the unit, and began cutting out the field resistance. Just before the reverse current relay operated to close the charge contactor, I glanced up at the voltmeter - it was headed the WRONG WAY! TOO LATE! The contractor slammed closed, fire shot out of the arc chute and bounced off the ceiling, there was a terrible noise as the generator tried to reverse the 75-hp drive motor, and then, mercifully, the motor controller over-current trip did it's thing.

Hooked 'er up backwards...

I always did a polarity check after that!

Hank

...from the Gadget Garage
#54923 08/15/05 08:08 PM
F
Accidently ran a piece of 8-2 through an HVAC pleneum.
Still to this day the folks A/C wire runs right into and out of the center of the AC box:-)

Blew up a Square D metermain sitting on a t-pole:-)

Watched an HVAC guy pull out an A/C disconnect, put it back in and watched as two phases joined in eternal matremony.
Some idiot trim guy instead of hooking it and as LOAD LINE LINE LOAD he did LOAD LOAD LINE LINE.

Watched a service guy destroy a ladies meter-main combo panel, guess who paid for that.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard