ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 262 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
I think the plumber mistique started when they were threading galvanized and sweating copper. Now days it is just pasting PVC pipe.
Around here the plumbers are skinny white boys with metal studs in their face. I think they are just in it for the smell of the glue.
I don't think new construction "rough" guys really make that much.
Old work does pay more but they have a "crappier" job.

Electricians are a more ethnically diverse crew. Some of the piecework electricians make lots of money.

Greg Fretwell
I
Now days it is just pasting PVC pipe

Not around here, commercial plumbing is still copper, black iron, or cast iron. [Linked Image]

The plumbing code books are much larger than ours here in MA.

I could have been a plumber, Dad was.

Electrical was more interesting IMO. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
Bigger type and lots of pictures Bob? ;-)

Seriously, plumbing can get complicated but resi around here is pretty simple. There is no gas and metal is non-existant.

Greg Fretwell
F
We had an inspector who would tease electricians that made a goof. He would always say "Well damn, what did you drop out of plumbing school?".

E
e57 Offline
Not around here, commercial plumbing is still copper, black iron, or cast iron.

Same here, in fact the Pipefitters union attempted to make all non-threaded pipe illegal here some time back.

Electrically speaking PVC is only allowed underground for services, or in slab here.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Cat Servant
I'll tell you why plumbers make the bucks....none of us ever had to fix a circuit while laying in a puddle of moldy electricity!

B
Ever watched a plumber eat lunch on a commercial renovation? They hold their sandwich by one little corner, and they throw that corner away. I can happily say nothing I do during the day prevents me from devouring my lunch completely. Let them make the dollars; I'd rather deal with watts than waste any day of the week. [Linked Image]

-John

B
"They hold their sandwich by one little corner, and they throw that corner away"

ROTFLMAO

M
I have several trades that work for me. I have the best job in the world in that I usually only get my hands dirty when I'm called somewhere because something really difficult has come up. (after years of carrying a tool bag).

When I get called by one of my electricans, I'm eager to jump in and get to work. When my plumber calls me and needs some help, I dread whatever I'm gonna find when I get there.

I've told him lots of times that of all the trades he could have picked, I don't know why he would have chosen plumbing. He usually just nods his head (as we're running a rod through a drain line from the street-end hoping we feel the clog break free and that we get out of the way in time)

T
BigJohn,

Your post was the biggest ha ha I've had in a long time.

I used to wonder why a plumber would toss part of his good sandwich. Partial sandwiches were everywhere after lunch. They assigned a laborer just to pick up those disguards after lunch.

Thanx,
Steve

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard