ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
manida Offline OP
I'm preparing a user guide for a product that is powered by 110V DC. I'm adding specific warning icons and statements to the guide and want to know if there's a hazard label rating system that matches power levels to warnings. For instance, for 110V DC at 95 watts, is SHOCK HAZARD sufficient, or should it read ELECTROCUTION HAZARD? Would you have any standards that explain this requirement?

R
When I was writing electrical maintenance procedures in a refinery I was trained to use a phrase like “CAUTION; The misuse of this electrical equipment may clause electric shock resulting in serious injury or death” for instances where the hazard was not eminent or is preventable. And in other parts like that included in working with energized equipment, I used the phrase “Warning; Electricians performing these tasks could be exposed to electrical shock.” This is for instances where a hazard does exist.
The general requirement was to inform the reader of the hazards involved without overstating the situation. The use of the word “caution” was intended for conditions that may exist and the word “warning” was used for conditions that could or will exist.
Can't remember where the references or guides came from.

Link Copied to Clipboard