ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 256 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#53788 07/07/05 06:36 PM
L
The project I am on has 2 dental offices, with xray in each,1 room just for the panoramic dental xray,a mammogram xray room , and a general xray room. Is it required to have a light outside these rooms that lights up when the xray equip. is in use , And is it required to have the xray shunted if the door to these rooms is opened during the xray procedure ?
I have read the NEC under xray & health care and have found nothing . Am I missing something or could this be some other code I am unaware of ?

#53789 07/07/05 06:59 PM
H
Why would a dental office have a mammogram xray room? [Linked Image]

As to your question, this is not a NEC issue but rather a health department or jurisdictional one. I have never seen lights or interlocks on the doors of rooms with this small equipment. Operation is always done from outside the room or well away and seems to suffice.

-Hal

#53790 07/07/05 07:31 PM
G
The dental office I just completed required none of the things you are concerned about.

#53791 07/07/05 07:42 PM
L
I should have been clearer , I apologize.
The project has 2 dental offices,
1 panoramic xray room
1 mammogram room
1 general xray room
Total of 5 pieces of xray equipment. These are in a womens prison health care facility.
I am posting because there is some debate over this. I told the xray installer it's not required . He swears it is. The engineer
( EIT) is confused and will get back to us.
Other Electricians on the job say yes and some say no. I am holding firm with No and it would be an extra to do so. Just wanted some other opinions and I know there are some pretty smart fellers here.

#53792 07/07/05 08:01 PM
H
As I said it is up to the health department that inspects these machines and the AHJ. Why not ask them?

-Hal

#53793 07/07/05 08:03 PM
L
I have the AHJ coming to site Monday for partial ceiling close up, Plan on asking him then.

#53794 07/07/05 09:20 PM
L
You have to go by the departments that have jurisdictions. Dept. of corrections, US/state gov., county, city etc. I think that is the reason that the same contractors do the prisons here in Ca. I know of a few that went tits up over the different rules. Good luck. Rod

#53795 07/08/05 05:52 AM
P
No prints and specs to spell out your scope of work? Did your company design/build this or did an architect's engineer? You refer to "extra" work so I assume you have something to go by that does not show this stuff. Is the engineer that is confused just serving as an inspector for the architects plans or did he draw the plans?

#53796 07/10/05 11:58 AM
L
Prints were "generic" at best with the xray rooms. Just showed power to a piece of equipment. Now that it is time to do the install the equipment suppliers/installers are showing up with their equipment and it is way different from the submittal.They have no problem footing the bill to add the needed conduits and wiring. The only debate is over the signs and shunts. There not on my prints, in my specs , or in their submittal. It's been real fun so far - let me tell you ! Running conduits above finished , secured , metal ceilings.The EIT is standing in to answer questions / take notes for the reg . Engineer who is tied up elsewhere. We are not new to prison work , about 25 % of our work is in prisons. I am sticking to my guns and claiming NIC and not in the NEC. So Pay Up

(Should have spell checked first)

[This message has been edited by luckyshadow (edited 07-10-2005).]

#53797 07/10/05 12:21 PM
R
Usually the X-Ray machine is operated from an exterior control booth. If this is the set up then the operator usually turns on the light and is responsible for making sure no one enters the room at that time. They usually post signs saying not to enter if the light is on.

If the equipment is operated by a technician who is in the room (and hopefully in a lead vest) then they usually turn on the light and lock the door.

Some X-Ray equipment has an auxillary contact output that is ran to a control panel. The control panel has the required circuits to turn the light on.

For the most part it is the technicians responsibility to ensure no one comes in when the X-Ray machine is in operation.

(All this information is from X-Ray Tech's that I know that have been doing this since 1983 military and civilian.)

Link Copied to Clipboard