ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#53303 06/21/05 05:24 PM
B
Bert66 Offline OP
How do you guys terminate receps and switches? Do you make a loop and go under the screw or do you push into the tab on the back? Ive notice that more folks are using the pressure type connectors over wire nuts to terminate the neutrals. Again what do you all think. Is it a time saving aspect!!! And do you think you would get just as good of a connection?

#53304 06/21/05 05:46 PM
R
Loops and wire nuts every time. It hasn't failed me yet.

I have however been suprised by push ins that pop out when you pull the device out of the box. That is why I gently pull it out and test for voltage before I pull it all the way out.

Robert

#53305 06/21/05 06:46 PM
E
e57 Offline
Screws all of the time!

The likes of the Wago Wall-nut aren't available at my supply house's except for samples, that everyone leave at the counter... So, they are not really available. I really like the idea but some versions don't have the nessesary versitlity of capacity for stranded/solid #12 for 5 conductors. Not sure if I would trust a 3/4-wire neutral connection with them. How-ever, some of those European screw-type pressure connector though... Wish they made them for applicable use here.

In terms of speed, you still have to strip the wire, and put one on. One could reduce the fatique of the wire nut by using a wire-nut-driver, or my favorite a wire-nut-driver on an impact wrench. [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#53306 06/21/05 07:16 PM
IMHO:
We use the screw/loop method; or with 'spec' grade devices the "insert & tighten the screw" method.

THe majority of our work is comm...so the 'option' to 'backstab' the #14 into the recept's don't happen anyway. Smallest we use is #12.

As to wire nuts, my guys have any choice they like...wings, regulars, skirted, etc.

The WAGO things have not been a popular item, with the exception of ballast wiring.

John

John
#53307 06/21/05 07:50 PM
Z
Backstab outlets should be outlawed given their well established reputation for causing problems. The problem is worse where they are used for feed-thru but even when conductors are "tailed out" there's a fire hazard created if say a portable space htr. is connected.

I'm surprised that the NEC hasn't already addressed this issue by now.

Zero

#53308 06/21/05 08:10 PM
L
Using the "back stabbing" method of terminating devices will guarantee one thing . Your guaranteed to have problems in the future with them ! I only use the screw and anyone on my jobs must use the screw. Wirenuts and pigtailing is the norm.

#53309 06/21/05 10:36 PM
T
Screws and wirenuts.. I have never even seen a pressure connector at my shop, but I do get chided from time to time by the guys who came up in the trade as piece workers or resi track guys for not sticking switches and recepts- at which point I just laugh and mutter something obscene under my breath. I loathe sticking- nothing but a royal pain when you have to take things apart and you are just asking for a broken wire, stuck switch, or short because the guy who stripped the wire left too much exposed, although I do admit- it is "faster" for what that's worth (not much in my opinion, considering the trouble sticking causes..) This may just be personal to me, but how many of you also screw down the unused terminals on recepts? I always do- it just takes a second more and gives you a little more clearance between that neutral or hot wire & the ground in a multi-gang box. This is another little quirk that gets the piece-workers and tract guys shaking their heads in incomprehension, but (as far as they go..).. who cares!

#53310 06/22/05 07:59 AM
B
Bert66 Offline OP
Thanks guys for your feedback. I would have thought that the subject would have been somewhat divided. But this was very interesting that so far everyone that has replyed, is steadfast against using anything other then the screw terminals.
This proves one thing to me, that there is still alot of guys in the trade who are still shooting for a quality job vs a quicky with a paid invoice.

#53311 06/22/05 10:41 AM
C
there is still alot of guys in the trade who are still shooting for a quality job vs a quicky with a paid invoice.

That's why I like this place [Linked Image]

The wago type pressure connectors as used on ballasts are very good for lighting, I use them here in the UK for wiring things that are unlikely to need maintenance work done on them, and are generally low current, anything higher current gets terminated the long-winded way, it takes less time in the long run because you don't get so many callbacks.

#53312 06/22/05 12:52 PM
M
My term for using the push holes in the back of devices has allways been GOback stabbing. This is because sooner or later you will get a call to Go back and fix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard