ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 190 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#52644 06/01/05 09:04 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
I currently have a 16' fiberglass, 2-man stepladder, weighing in at 100 lbs.
It is difficult to maneuver, even with help.
I am considering a "Little Giant" commercial series ladder that is even higher, but it compacts down to about 12'.
Has anyone used one of these?
They are expensive, but, I am thinking that the maneuverability may be worth it, especially if I have to work alone.

B
I used one once when a homeowner asked if I wanted to use his. I think the thing is great, it worked very well. I've seen cheaper models that look like crap. I don't know how it would hold up for commercial use but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
J
These are awesome! They have a lifetime warranty, and durable. I can not speak highly enough about them. They also have a 90* feature vs. the only "A" style.

L
I like mine alot. Very handy worth the money IMHO. Rod

A
I thought those Little Giant ladders are heavy. Don't they conduct electricity?

I hate getting out the 16' step but once you get it in the room one guy holds the bottom while the other walks it up, then wespread the legs.

I wish I had a 14' too but no room or need for it now. It does fit a little easier.

Tom

S
In our school system we have a bunch of them (not sure of the model). We use the big ones to change lights in the auditoriums. They are good and bad. The good: 1)goes to about 22' an is solid all the way up. 2)Will allow you to make the two sides different lengths to accomodate sloped floors. The bad: 1)as we put it "it take 3 men and a boy to handle it". (unless you have a wide open space, then 2 can do it). 2) difficult to transport due to being about 12' long (closed) and the base is about 4' wide.
All in all we like them ... just don't plan on a 1 man crew using it, not even on a big project.

G
Little giants are indeed great.......they do make a Fiberglass version.....but I bet that thing costs an arm and a leg.....could save your life though.

These ladders are awesome on stairs!!!

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks for the replies guys.
I would use this for 2-story chandeliers an ceiling fans.
I am thinking about the mid-sized one, but I was hoping to be able to handle it by myself.
http://www.lgladders.com/lgladders/typemxz.cfm

D
Redsy,
I found them to be a liitle lighter, but much more "aukward" (sp) than a traditional fiberglass ladder.
I found them harder to carry, and they really don't extend and manuever as you would think they do.

This is my opinion of them only.

For Chandeliers of that hieght, if you do alot of them, it may pay you to use bakers scaffolding. One guy can set it up, and I found alot less chances of scratching floors than setting up a big ladder.

Dnk........

M
We're got one at the shop that we don't use often.

They are heavy. Guys always grumble whe we have to use it.

But they are amazingly stable to use and we can reach some really high gymnasium ceilings.

If we're doing anything more than a couple of ballasts, we trailer a man lift instead. Faster and easier use and less backbreaking to move around.

Link Copied to Clipboard