ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52135 05/20/05 08:44 PM
S
How do some of you install a ceiling fan box in an existing house, when working by yourself? The kind where you have to install a piece of wood in the attic, and screw the box to the wood. I have problems getting the box flush with the ceiling, and level. I have tried masking tape on the ceiling to keep the box in place while I go in the attic and position my piece of wood, but the tape don't stick well enough, and plus it may damage the ceiling texture. It would be nice if they would make a box that could be temporarily positioned in place, and strong enough to hold til it could be secured in the attic. I know with a helper this wouldn't be a problem. He could tell when the box in flush while the other one nails in the attic. But I can't seem to come up with an idea at this time. Any help would be appreciated. Steve...

#52136 05/20/05 08:58 PM
Tom Offline
I'm afraid that I don't recall the name of the manufacturer, but there is a company that makes a box & support that can actually be installed through the 4" hole in the ceiling without making any trips into the attic.

Otherwise, try this, rip or plane a 2x2 to a thickness of 1" (when dealing with 1/2" drywall). Lay 2 pieces of this 1" thick material on the top of the drywall on either side of the hole in the ceiling. Lay a 2x4 flat on the 1" spacers. Run 3" long drywall screws through the joists or trusses to secure the 2x4 in place. Poke wire through the hole, go downstairs & install the wire into the box, push box through the hole & secure to the 2x4. Hang fan. Crack open a cold, you've earned it.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#52137 05/20/05 09:00 PM
J
I just put a fan in my bedroom last weekend. I used a fan bracket box right to the side of the joist. I think it may have been RACO or Appleton. The box is sunk below the bracket 1/2 inch so I just rested it on the drywall from above and drilled my pilot holes and ran the screws.

The only reason I used a deep bracket was because I needed a box to feed my new cans from, otherwise I prefer pancake. Most of the time a joist is within an acceptable distance to center to just hit a joist. Buzz a holesaw and done. 1/2" box flushes itself.

#52138 05/20/05 09:27 PM
R
Here is what I have been using lately, They available at most parts places also. A little more expensive than 2x4's and nails but it pays for itself with the time saved
http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp/Ceiling+Fan+Braces+(RAC100).html

#52139 05/20/05 10:50 PM
J
Rich, haven't you ever had those pop the nail heads in the drywall? I've never used them them, but when I first saw them, the first thing I thought was that it would probably pop the nail or scew heads as it pried the joists apart.

#52140 05/20/05 11:08 PM
S
Thanks for the replies. As far as the box with the supports that screw into the joist without going into the attic, I've never had to much confidence in them. Don't look like there's enough of the "spike" that goes into the joist to hold good enough, although I know they're UL approved. Just seem to be afraid to trust them. Tom, the suggestion you made, makes sense, seeing that the fan box I am talking about is 1 1/2 inches deep. I wish I would have thought of that earlier today. I had a time with 3 fan boxes in an old rewire I was doing [Linked Image] must have been the heat and insulation [Linked Image] Thanks again.. Steve

#52141 05/20/05 11:12 PM
D
I've used lots like the ones Rick is showing and they work great. They are also great for larger fixtures as they will hold up to around 150lbs of static load.

I had one of my smaller helpers try it out and it held him. Unfortunately my belly exceeds the specs on it [Linked Image]

#52142 05/20/05 11:13 PM
T
If it's between the joists, I use a method similar to Tom's, but use 2 pieces of 1/2" drywall for the 1" scrap. I've tried those bars like Rich & they were a time consuming PITA. If it's near a joist I use a HD bracket box against the joist, and if it centers on the joist I use a ceiling fan pan.

Dave

#52143 05/20/05 11:22 PM
L
I've probably installed 50 of the box type Rich linked to, with no problem ever. They're available from the orange and blue stores for about the same price as AZP.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#52144 05/21/05 06:46 AM
E
As far as the box with the supports that screw into the joist without going into the attic, I've never had to much confidence in them. Don't look like there's enough of the "spike" that goes into the joist to hold good enough, although I know they're UL approved. Just seem to be afraid to trust them.
Have you ever used them? They work great. You can practically hang on the bar it grabs so tight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard