ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 394 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Great link Redsy, it was interesting.

I think Bjarney's post in that thread bares repeating.

Use *any* voltage tester with an clear understanding of the device's limitations, and when it is likely to give false readings (or no reading). Experience is a good teacher. The concept is valid and used just about everywhere—a lot of utilities use devices like Modiewark testers at 230kV+. There are no absolutes in this world. We take risks every day, but mostly they are ‘informed’ risks—there may be consequences. The non-contact tester increases job safety, but know when to question its readings—where another type of tester may do a better job.

While I do use my non-contact tester to verify things are dead I am also aware of it's limitations.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
In my opinion, the main advantage of a non-contact tester is that it doesn't depend on a grounded return conductor. The tester tells us that there is potential compared to earth, which is the body's return.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
G
I have had problems with non-contact testers in the past. I found that if I clipped it inside the top of my t-shirt during the summer, by noon it would fail to work. Leave it out overnight and the next day it was fine.

My conclusion was that they don't like heat and humidity. Be careful and check yours on a known live circuit.

I
I would never use my non-contact tester to prove a circuit dead. I would not trust my voltmeter or my Martindale neon-voltage indicator either unless I have proven it against a known live circuit or with my tester box first.

I will also prove it again afterwards just to make sure.

Ian

C

E
e57 Offline
The other day, I saw that Fluke has a new model that senses proximity, and contact? 40-600VAC it also has an LED flashlight on it. It was also very small, so if you had to get close to a conductor, you would have you knuckles against it too. I saw it on the counter at a supply house, but they don't have it on thier website yet.

I thought to myself about it, if you have a flashlight with a dead battery, don't you also have a non-contact tester with a dead battery.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
I saw those Flukes up at the supply house the other day.

About $20 or so. Neat idea. It get brighter / changes color the closer you get to a voltage carrying conductor.... looks like with practice you could tell the difference between line and neutral with it.

e57 - think of it this way... if the flashlight is dead, at least you have confirmation that your tester is teats-up... [Linked Image]

M
All test equipment performance relies on the skill of the operator.I have been in the electrical trade for 30 years and the no contact testers are one of the most valuable tools I own. Common sense being most important. The testers can tell you much with proper interpretation. Given there are limitations.
They will show a hot even if the is no neutral. They will sometimes give a false positive due to inductance. They will not read through wet romex. (This condition is fully disclosed as a warning with the tester I currently use). They can fail just as any other battery operated device.
I always test on a known live circuit or rub the tester briskly on my sleeve to see if it is working.
I have used many types of these testers and have settled on the one osha uses. In my opinion it is the best.
There is no switch to malfunction and no external metal parts.The tester I use is a santronics. http://www.santronicsinc.com/
These testers are also very tuff.
I also second the warning posted by chrsb since the voltstick is made of metal.

W
What is the beef? If you don't trust the taster don't have one or use one. Just don't go knocking the guys who do Have and use them it is their choice. For the record I have one and use it on a regular basis.

William Runkle
M
Hello William, no beef but, If your reply is directed at me and if you’re talking about the voltstick Just want to say that I personally am not “ knocking it (The voltstick) or the guys that use them
The voltstick may be the best thing since sliced bread, but when I find a legitimate warning, which in my opinion is merited, I feel it would be very complacent of me not to share the warning. Isn’t that one thing this forum is for, to promote safety and improvement? And I also wanted to share the option of trying the santronics tester, which I feel is also a very good tester and a useful tool.
. I have used many other testers but never the voltstick.
The warning posted is not my opinion, but the findings of a government agency that is in place to protect the consumer.
If you are talking about no contact sensors in general. Sorry about the missunderstanding.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard