ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Guys,
If I may put one final word in here.
As a person that is trained in HV line work, as soon as the authorities found out that people could work HV systems LIVE, there was a huge jump for everyone to be doing this, regardless of who they were and regardless of thier level of training.
Personally, I would leave a job like this to the PoCo, not because I work for one, but because they have the best idea of what is involved.
The biggest PITB now is the fact that all users of electricity have come to expect no "gaps" supply, that should change.
But don't get me started on that!. GRRR

I
The biggest PITB now is the fact that all users of electricity have come to expect no "gaps" supply, that should change.

We sure agree there, I have taken to just killing circuits without asking anymore.

Sure there are some areas (data centers, health care, labs etc.) where I will plan a scheduled shutdown.

However retail stores, apartments, condos, many office buildings etc. I do not ask anymore.

If you ask the answer is always the same...NO.

I just make the shutdown as short as possible.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
N
If this is a pad mount doesn't it have a slabox? I know some don't but if it does the pull could be done without even getting into the transformer and having a short shutdown to terminate.
Anyway, if you do it live this is the kind of PPE you will have to wear.

[Linked Image from webpages.charter.net]

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 05-01-2005).]

E
e57 Offline
500KW generator. It could run the better part of some neighborhoods, dont think a coffee shop would be a problem. And I'm sure you POCO has one laying around, possiblily larger. I have seen them parallel gensets to line and drop transformers for this type of thing before. Would be completely illegal for you to do it, but if this coffee shop has that kind of pull, I imagine they could get the POCO to jump a few hoops too. Hey, why not get them to pull and terminate at the tranny for you?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
B
Good morning everyone. Well needless to say I have deciced to do this pull DEAD. I don't want anybody hurt. If there is a safer way to do something then do it that way!! I have no idea why the city expects us to do this live. As suggested it may be political or not. The coffee shop informed me that the baker starts at 2:00 am. We have tentatively scheduled the pull for 1:00am to 5:00 am. The last pull we did through a xfrmr the city told us that the primaries were not grounded. Will someone explain that to me. Should the primaries be grounded? We are not HV linesmen, just fantastic low voltage electricians! Thanks guys!!!!

B
the story ain't over yet!! contrary to the info in my previuos post the cable pull is going ahead this morning!!!!!

B
Last up-date on the cable pull through a live xfrmr. The boys got it done. No injuries!!!!! The company owner ran the tugger located a few yards from the xfrmr and pulled the cable into the xfrmr. I suggested he should wear a harness and tether so he could not reach the xfrmr. There were city linesmen present for the pull. I had an out of town sevice call to take care of. I did submit a letter to the company spelling out my concerns. I made it clear that I would not be participating in the pull. I am glad it is over. Man have I been stressing. This will NOT happen again. At least not on my watch.
Work safe boys!

T
tkb Offline
Wouldn't the safest way to pull it, since you had to do it live, would have been to feed at the transformer?

The most danger is until the head is into the conduit. It should be taped up good. Then you should be able to feed from outside the transformer.

This would limit the danger since you have more control where the head is while you feed than when it come out.

I would have pushed to have a shut down during the night to do this pull. I am also the owner my company. I am the most valuable person in the company. If I got hurt during the pull, my guys would have no work too. Scheduled outages are a normal thing for construction with the POCO.

[This message has been edited by tkb (edited 05-03-2005).]

T
tkb Offline
I don't think anyone asked this,

If you had to pull it live, you must have to connect it live.

What PPE will your owner use to make this connection, since it sounds like he didn't use any on the pull?

H
Just What I thought you was going to have to do (do it hot)I'm sure the POCO people assured your helper what the danger was and told him they were first aid trained, and i'll bet a $1 he was not even close to the 25kv it would of been behind a barrier and its door closed, and your low side voltage ??? you never said what it was 240 or 208 now if it was 480 it would be more a concern. now that the cable is in someone going to have to connect it, then connect 1st at you first OCPD go back to transformer read with megger or your simpson for and resistance/grounds and connect it, tape up your wrenches 1 or 2 wraps of good tape should be enough and where rubber gloves alonf with other PPE, face shield etc.
I spent my whole career in the electric utility field and am qaulified to work things hot. I got to admit I recall seeing many EC's coming into to do work for the POCO and just assazed of what goes on, oh dont get me wrong there times when it just has to be de-energized. and the POCO I worked for would of been doing the work that you just did, but do know of other POCO's (mostly city/town owned POCO's)that require the EC to do the work you just did. maybe you should consider yourself somewhat trained now and have a market for doing it now.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard