ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51225 04/25/05 08:06 PM
Tom Offline OP
Has anyone out there used any occupancy sensors at mounting heights of 32' to 42' ? The application I'm looking at would involve both open areas and warehouse aisles.

Brand name & catalog numbers would be appreciated plus any good/bad experiances.

Thanks

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 04-25-2005).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
R
Are there columns you can mount them lower on? I think you are going to have problems with them at that elevation. 42'? That is almost three stories high. Leviton makes a good product. It is called "Occupancy Sensor". I have used these in many applications (not 32 or 42' high) but they are an excellent product.

[This message has been edited by rcksmith127 (edited 04-26-2005).]

F
is the area do have HID lighting in your area ?? well i will suggest that you concat RUDD lighting co.

but if you are going to add some motion sensor you have to make a choice useing " Hi-Low " hid lighting system or go with T-8 or T-5 hi bay flourscent lighting they do work pretty well what i heard about it but the cost wise i dont have direct answer right now.

http://www.ruudlighting.com/
this is the link to the ruud lighting company they have pretty good slection of light fixures as well

i know there are few other motion sensors like Watt stopper also but unforetally i dont have the link for that one if someone have it please do put a link in here . thanks

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Tom Offline OP
Rick (I'm guessing),

Unfortunately, no useable columns for the most part. I can mount sensors lower, at the dead end of each aisle, but the aisles are about 85 feet long & my past experiance with long aisles was not awe inspiring. I can probably do the same with the large open area.

I'm considering using Hubbell sensors that are both passive infra-red & ultrasonic.

Marc,

I'm going to be using T5 HO fixtures. Unfortunately, I will not be able to use the Ruud fixture since something else has been specified & I don't think I can get the owner to change their minds. I've used Ruud in the past & what impresses me about that company is how helpful they are when you encounter a problem.

Tom

J
The lighting company that replaced our HId with t-8's used a sensor on each end of the asile, and one in the middle of the asile. Our ceiling vary from 30 to 35' tall. They dropped 1/2 conduit from the ceiling about 2-3', then mounted the sensors at an angle into the asiles. In the center, they dropped 2-3 ' and put a round sensor. In the main asiles they have round sensors. I do not have the type of sensors. They seem to work ok for the most part, However we had a new roof put on and the sensors became misaligned, and we have not adjusted them yet.

"Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years to late" Jimmy Buffett
Broom Pusher and

They dropped 1/2 conduit from the ceiling about 2-3', then mounted the sensors

That's a great idea!
Mount the Occ. Sensors to 4s Boxes (with a 1 Gang Ring or equal mount), and suspend the Sensor/Box assembly from a Conduit type suspension means (like the way a Ceiling Fan is suspended on a GRC Nipple).

Proper supporting for a "Typical" conduit run, along with seismic activity (if applicable) should be included too.

As for the Occupancy Detectors, the Company "Watt Stopper" has a line of Ultrasonic Occupancy Detectors that might be perfect for your application.
There are "Dual Receiver" (Microphone) types with 1000 Ft² and 2000 Ft² ranges, which would be ideal for the "Central" areas of the Aisles, and "Single Receiver" type with 500 Ft² range - which would work great on the "Ends" of each Shelving Aisle.

These Occ. Detectors may be fine tweeked for delay off time and sensitivity.
They are used in conjunction with Lighting Contactors - known as "Power Packs", but any Contactor with a low voltage coil may be used - provided you have some type of low voltage power supply to run the detectors (24 VDC I think...).

Let me know if you would like additional information.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Tom Offline OP
jbfan & Scott,

I agree that putting a sensor on a conduit stem is a great idea with one exception, I didn't think of it. [Linked Image] The only thing I would caution anyone on is to avoid using a sensor that only works on passive infrared energy. These things really don't work well when they get up in elevation because of the higher ambient temperatures.

Thanx for the Wattstopper lead. I've been to their website. If this project moves forward, I will probably contact them for technical advice.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard