ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
New tool
by gfretwell - 10/24/20 11:09 AM
Where is Everyone?
by Bill Addiss - 10/17/20 07:04 PM
Beyond Belief
by gfretwell - 09/27/20 12:03 AM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
drills #5067 10/30/01 11:12 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 37
stan Offline OP
going to buy a right angle drill .U guys give me some suggestions they are many types.I do mostly residential wirring.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Re: drills #5068 10/30/01 11:23 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 449
Fred Offline
If you're talking MAJOR right-angle drill, invest in a Milwaukee Holehawg. Not much it won't eat through if you can hold on.

Re: drills #5069 10/30/01 11:32 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,961
Bill Addiss Offline

I've got a Milwaukee. No complaints (15yrs.)

Re: drills #5070 10/30/01 11:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 37
stan Offline OP
whats the cost of the hole hog and is it a good as a regular right handed drill by millw?

Re: drills #5071 10/30/01 11:51 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 38
bhester Offline
I can get a Milwaukee here for around $269 plus tax,that is drill only no case.

Re: drills #5072 10/31/01 12:18 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 141
amp-man Offline

Get the D-handle right angle Milwaukee, the variable speed one with the removable cord. Easier to replace, and you can get a 25' replacement.

The Hole Hawg isn't as easy to use in my opinion, bad ergonomics. Also the HH is heavier.

The HH has more torque, for sure. Important for a plumber or an industrial/commercial sparky who's going to be drilling a lot of holes for 3" to 6" pipe. In resi, the biggest hole you're gonna punch is for the service entrance mast--and only one per house.

Re: drills #5073 10/31/01 01:43 AM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,236
sparky66wv Offline
My suggestion is, if you can find one with variable speed, buy it...

I haven't had the pleasure of using one...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 10-31-2001).]

Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Re: drills #5074 10/31/01 07:21 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,389
sparky Offline
Porter cable makes a good R-angle. Gets in the tight places. Most R-angles are 7-8 amps , which a HH is anyways. I got a 10A 3/4" Milwakee, next step up from a HH, great for blowing 15A circuits, or workin' out yer 'pecks'. [Linked Image]
oh, those dewalt's have a recall i think?!?

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 10-31-2001).]

Re: drills #5075 10/31/01 11:09 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 597
ElectricAL Offline
My vote is for the D - handle right angle variable speed reversing Milwaukee. To this I've added the 30" extension and a 33 degree knuckle for the chuck. If you haven't seen one, the tool (drill and extension) looks like an SST jet and is great for offering kids free dental work for those hard to reach molars. Seriously though, I can shoot a line of parallel holes in wood framing from floor to a 9' ceiling without bending over and without a ladder. The 33 degree knuckle puts my shove at the handle.

The right angle, case and tools are available out of St. Paul for $229 and the extension at $229 with free freight from Tools On Sale (800) 328-0457.

Al Hildenbrand
Re: drills #5076 11/02/01 10:56 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 109
njelectricmaster Offline
Hello From Colorado!!!!

Looks like I am the odd man out this time. I really like my Black and Decker TIMBERWOLF, and the Dewalt version of the same. Lots of tork and power when I need it!


Jon Niemeyer
Page 1 of 2 1 2


2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Posts: 165
Joined: March 2007
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
BigB 3
Popular Topics(Views)
270,787 Are you busy
205,000 Re: Forum
193,115 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3