ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 507 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Maybe I'm just mis-reading his statement, but it sounds like Paul's concern isn't the time in the trenches learning the trade, but the time to find out if IBEW will let him. The locals I've talked to had over a year spent in interviews and tesing before they decide if you can be an apprentince.

P
pep3000 Offline OP
bentruler,

that is exactly what I am talking about, I do NOT mean the time an apprenticeship takes to complete but, the time it takes to get into the program.

-pep3000

B
pep3000, if you want to become a competant and dependable electrian, just get your tail off the sofa and look for someone to put you to work. Sounds like you whining about the IBEW apprenticship program. I my opinion look for someone who is willing to let you reside in their hip pocket and learn as much as you can, ask questions, hit any job like you would your own. No matter how long it takes it's the knowledge for your gain. Nobody can take back what you have learned. Learn it, apply it and keep striving to better yourself. I'm sure that anyone (if they care to be honest) will tell you that they are still learning, even if they do have 30 + years in the trade. There is so much out there to learn that your time spent in the early stages will pass by in a blink of an eye. Just enjoy the trade, it can provide an endless career for you.

D
I do not know how things operate in your local.

In the local here if you fill out the paperwork and get your HS transcript there, they will put you to work (if there is work) as a preapprentice.

You will not do much electrical work, think unloading trucks, digging ditches and the like.

Being a preapprentice does not promise acceptace into the program. But if you do not show up and do not do what you are told you might find yourself not making it into the program.

B
Drillman, Preapprentice sounds like a way to keep you an apprentice a while longer. with that type of work i think i would go to the labor union and look for work.

R
Pep3000

A lot of what you are asking is dependent on where you live and what they require for apprentices etc.

Secondly I agree with all the posters who said that it is a long and slow process but in the end if you are going to work in a construction field you want to be a sparky not a mason...trust me on this one.

It does not matter if you win or lose but how you lay the blame :-)
R
pep please email me and I will give you my 2 cents on this whole issue...

rogersan@cox.net

It does not matter if you win or lose but how you lay the blame :-)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard