ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
scott, it's in my house, so i will definately be doing myself a favor by putting in a pull string [Linked Image]

dave,...thanks, looks like i'll be fishing them through there this weekend!

also...i need to run some data/comm wires to the attic, too...is there anything suited for this application? man this house is old..it was built in 1916, so the electrical system and phone wireing is pretty bad...next will be the service upgrade.

D
If this is your house, time is no object! Run some 3/4" conduits from basement to attic. Use one for line voltage and the other for VDV.

Dave

W
also...i need to run some data/comm wires to the attic, too...is there anything suited for this application?

IIRC, they make teflon insulated data/comm wire . Intended for running above suspended ceilings in offices. I've also seen teflon insulated RG59 coax for CATV. Expensive though.

H
... teflon insulated data/comm wire . Intended for running above suspended ceilings in offices.

If it is teflon there would be no need to use it in offices above suspended ceilings. That's what plenum rated cable is for assuming it is an environmental air space.

Clydesdale, I've run probably more communications cables next to hot pipes then NM. I don't like that either but it's usually the only way to go. It won't matter whether you use plenum or PVC.

I just had a thought since this is your house. Any chance you could pull a couple of runs of greenfield up through there?

-Hal

N
I have done many of old work jobs in which i ran along water pipes etc. If poss. i would try a couple of other well known spots that i have found to be great; Along the plumbing vent stack, chimmney, etc. in a older home im sure their is a large drain pipe somewhere near the attic. Greenlee push rods work great for this task or a long piece of jack chain (this is by far the best method). Well either way best of luck it, take your blood presure meds befor you start lol.

A
We just put the wires in the pipes here in Chicagoland.

Tom

C
the conduit method sounds really good, but i suspect having some problems getting the pipe in there since i can barely see down the chase, and can't see up at all because it's an exterior wall. whatever i do, it looks like it's going to work out. judging from your responses I have plenty of options. i was going to follow the chimney, but there is framing tight all around it in the attic, and that leads me to believe the same would be true at several points along the way so that's out. i didn't think of the vent pipe though..so i'll explore that option further..the greenfield would probably be the easiest conduit scince it would bend around objects in the chase...thanks for the help, everyone...this forum rules.

[This message has been edited by Clydesdale (edited 02-24-2005).]

D
Good luck, in my last house i had to run coax, phone, cat-5 and a short length of nm from the basement up to the first floor and attic, nm went up along the vent pipe, and i managed to get everything else up from the basement to the attic by following the outside of the laundry chute, and then drilling the last top plate and bringing it up, it sure saved alot of time and work

Rob

D
A hot water pipe will not be hotter than 130F. Attics easily exceed that in the summer in the desert. So unless its unsafe in 90% of desert attics, I dont think you got a problem.

C
nice..i will be doing the work this weekend. thanks everybody.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard