ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#48206 02/06/05 10:16 AM
E
This question has no absolute correct answer. Looking through the responses I see things like smoke detectors, sump pumps, dishwashers, etc. None of these is required to have a "dedicated" circuit. Some might be better off that way but circuits for these are sized for the load intended to be connected. Smoke detectors in many areas can not be on a dedicated circuit. I suggest you read through 210 carefully to see what circuits are required and what they are alowed to serve.

#48207 02/06/05 10:26 AM
N
Reading, and looking for the answer are part of the learning process.

#48208 02/06/05 10:36 AM
C
thanks for the info..i will be reading 210 today! it's funny though.. i mean isn't this forum about asking questions? ok..so my question isn't about where to land the high leg on a 3 phase 4 wire delta system...is the guy who asks that question not taking enough initiative? It seems not...mike holt liked his question so much that he decided to devote an entire article in the new EC&M magazine. anyway, i will probably be going somewhere else for help now...thanks for everyone who reponded objectively.

[This message has been edited by Clydesdale (edited 02-06-2005).]

#48209 02/06/05 02:32 PM
E
The forum is certainly for asking questions. The perception I think that your question generated was that you were looking for easy answers with out doing the work. No big deal.

#48210 02/06/05 09:08 PM
B
If my perception is correct, Clydesdale is an apprentice. He is working, going to school and raising a young family. I think Journeyman out there should always give a hand to someone learning the trade.

Good luck

Buck
#48211 02/07/05 01:02 AM
Cat Servant
I think Clydesdales' question is a variation of the old "what is the minimum number of circuits for a house" riddle.

You are required to have:
1 Laundry circuit
2 kitchen small appliance circuits
1 furnace circuit
1 general purpose receptacle circuit
1 general purpose lighting circuit
1 bathroom circuit

While not specifically called for, it is very practical to also have:
1 bedroom circuit
1 smoke alarm circuit

Appliances that, if present, and electric, that will require dedicated circuits are:
2 kitchen stove
2 water heater
2 dryer
2 air conditioner
1 ice melt eqt

Other things in the "should have" category....that is, not required, but certainly desireable, are circuits for:
dishwasher/disposal
Large microwave
separate for each bedroom
separate for each bath
separate for outside/ Xmas lights

#48212 02/07/05 11:47 AM
M
Hi,
A list is fine books are fine, sometimes a clarification in simple laymans terms is better..

There are a lot of folks out there who are willing to give their time and answer questions.

I ask a lot of questions that I may know or may not know the answer to and could easily look it up but the site is setup to allow users to post questions and comments.

I do not think you will find any better place to get help and to interact with other folks in the trade and some who are not.

I have asked the same question several times throughout my 27 years in the trade.

The only dumb question is the one that you did not ask. ( I think that is how it goes)

The truth is, that the number of required outlets is covered by the NEC but I have seen local or state ordinances that require a separate circuit for a heat/vent/light combo..I have seen it required to provide a headbolt heater.

Long story short, time on the pond and the tools that you need to do the job along with all the references you need is the best way. You will never memorize everything, just know where to find it or how to find the right answer.

Dont get put off by the post here, there are good and bad anywhere you go!

There is more good here in my opinion.

Good luck with the job and the yungun!

regards

Greg

#48213 02/07/05 07:07 PM
W
As for the smoke detector circuit, you may want to use it also for say the hallway ceiling light. Or such similar ceiling light that the occupant will quickly notice that the smoke detector circuit is dead. Possibly have the light and its switch connected at the far end past the smoke detectors from the panel. So if a connection goes open the light won't work.

#48214 02/07/05 10:40 PM
C
thanks, i really appreciate the responses.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard