ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Al Hildenbrand - Minneapolis - obituary
by Bill Addiss - 02/03/23 07:38 PM
by renosteinke - 01/27/23 09:52 PM
Does NEC 551.71 (F) apply to dwellings?
by BigB - 01/20/23 10:46 AM
Power submeter connections
by HotLine1 - 01/19/23 09:09 AM
New in the Gallery:
Burger King crown sillyness
Burger King crown sillyness
by wa2ise, December 11
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 69 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 13
I live in MA and recenly got my licence. I've worked for a few different guys doing service upgrades and new services as well as many other things. My question is about where the grounging electrode should be terminated.(Residential 100A + 200A Services) On some jobs we've terminated the GEC from the (one or two) ground rods in the meter socket. The neutral lugs have a seperate spot for a smaller wire. Other times we've used 1/2 in. pvc and an LB to enter the house and terminaded in the panel. We also ground the cold water piping system with a seperate wire. I was wondering why it is allowed to terminate in the meter socket. Your only allowed to bond the grounding electrode system to the neutral in one location correct? I didn't think the meter socket was concidered a disconecting means. All work was inspected and passed. I think you should terminate in the panel but then why do they have that seperate lug in the meter scocket and a 1/2in. ko in the botom of it? Also I've heard that some towns require bypass type meter sockets. What is the purpose?
TIA for any info.

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,148
Multiple points of bonding are permitted on the line side of the service disconnect. The GEC connection can be made at any point on the line side of the service disconnect.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 13
I havent been able to get to my computer for a couple of days witch is why i haven't posted. Thanks for the info Don. I looked at article 250.24 and found the ancer. Some times i post without looking in the (bible)first.

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 329
One more consideration ... who owns the meter can? In my area we have several electric utilities. A couple of them supply the cans which we install. They then make all connections in the meter. They do not allow any GECs in there. The others make us buy the sockets and make all the connections, they merely connect on at the service point. They don't care what's in the can because it's not their responsibility.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 13
We own from the weatherhead down except for the meter. I've never done one underground so i don't know if the poco owns the conductors on the line side of the meter. Are there any MA electritions out there that can ancer that? I'm still wondering why the bypass meter is needed in some towns. The only thing i can think of is so they don't interupt power if the meter is changed or serviced.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,391
Good Morning Paul.

I am a MA electrician and I will take a stab at your questions.

I've heard that some towns require bypass type meter sockets. What is the purpose?

First I would say it is not the towns, but the different power companies.

A bypass meter is a handy requirement, it can not be left in bypass to steal power.

The nice part about a bypass meter is meter replacement.

Open the meter can, lift the bypass which along with bypassing the meter releases the jaws letting the meter come out without any effort.

Install new meter, put bypass lever back down and close cover.

The cover can not be installed with the bypass lever lifted, unless it has been cut short, which have seen.


[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-08-2005).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,457
Paul on residential meters I believe bypass is required on the landlord meter in multifamily applications. Your best bet is to contact the power company for the town you are working in BEFORE you do any service instalations. Some also require a fifth terminal in their meter socket. Some also require you to make a permanent connection at the service drop on service upgrades as your connection will not be redone by them. On underground services most cases are the property owner owns the service lateral back to the transformer, or back to and up the pole. As for the gec terminating in the meter can I have heard of inspectors not allowing this although as pointed out they have no basis fo this and it is perfectly acceptable and legal. I suspect they have the same questions as you but they have not bothered to find the answer.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *
2023 National Electrical Code (NEC)
2023 NEC Now Available!
* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
The Watt Doctor
The Watt Doctor
Humble, TX
Posts: 440
Joined: December 2001
Top Posters(30 Days)
BigB 3
triple 3
Popular Topics(Views)
303,186 Are you busy
232,187 Re: Forum
216,931 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5