ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Al Hildenbrand - Minneapolis - obituary
by Bill Addiss - 02/03/23 07:38 PM
by renosteinke - 01/27/23 09:52 PM
Does NEC 551.71 (F) apply to dwellings?
by BigB - 01/20/23 10:46 AM
Power submeter connections
by HotLine1 - 01/19/23 09:09 AM
New in the Gallery:
Burger King crown sillyness
Burger King crown sillyness
by wa2ise, December 11
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 69 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#46393 12/21/04 04:45 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 80
Bert66 Offline OP
I've been asked to bid the light poles along the street in a small neiborhood (10 houses). Where would I start to look to find this equipment.

Can anyone help! Does the Power Company provide the xfmr. etc. where is the over current proction located?


#46394 12/21/04 05:23 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 56
most of the towns in our area have a seperate service on each side of the street to save boring under the street and then a small fused disconnect or small breaker panel. i'm in PA

#46395 12/21/04 07:17 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,429
LK Offline

Take care in doing your estimate, have a sealed set of prints before you bid, and check for a listing on the equipment before you commit, there is a lot of unlisted lighting out there.

#46396 12/21/04 08:29 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 182
Bob Offline
I just happen to have a Hubbell Catalog near by. The lights shown have a hand hole at the bottom and they come with fusing and a PE cell if you spec it that way. I have had the utility provide a service with a meter to the
customers wanting the lights and they billed them. You would install a 100 amp fused disconnect and meter with underground cable.

#46397 12/23/04 06:13 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,056
I just got invlolved in this recently, and there are several steps and considerations.
In my area, it is important to contact the local municipality and/or their engineering firm and obtain their specifications. They will be responsible for the maintenance of the street lights afterwards and they want to minimize required inventory.
The fixture head itself will have specific technical information pertaining to types of distribution and optics.
If your township street lighting ties into a PoCo URD system, you will need to submit an application for electric service with them.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 12-23-2004).]

#46398 12/23/04 06:37 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,429
LK Offline

Good points, we learned them the hard way, and the utility did not want to accept our lighting, both the utility and township had specs.,and the lighting would be a set rate no metering. the township engineer said they usually come to him after, the utility refuses to connect, and then they cut their losses and run.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *
2023 National Electrical Code (NEC)
2023 NEC Now Available!
* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
The Watt Doctor
The Watt Doctor
Humble, TX
Posts: 440
Joined: December 2001
Top Posters(30 Days)
BigB 3
triple 3
Popular Topics(Views)
303,186 Are you busy
232,187 Re: Forum
216,931 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5