ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4630 10/07/01 12:17 PM
F
There is no state license in Indiana for an electrician. In my county we have one large town which is the county seat. This town has a building commissioner with an advisory board. The building commissioner's office is responsible for issuing permits and licenses. There are 2 types of electrical licenses. One is limited to residential work only and is issued upon passing a 100 question exam with a score of 80 or better. Anyone can take this exam. If you pass the exam you must provide proof of liability insurance before they issue the license. The second type of license is a Master Electrician license. In order to obtain this one you have to pass the Block & Associates Master Electrician Exam with a score greater than 80%. You cannot sit for the exam unless you can show proof of 5 years experience in the trade. The Master license allows the holder to do residential, commercial, industrial, institutional and agricultural electrical construction. You also have to provide proof of liability insurance. The county building commissioner's office recognizes the city license. Most adjoining counties reciprocate the Master's license because their standard is the Block test as well. The county offered an OSHA Safety 2 day course this summer for the construction industry. It covered tools & material handling equipment and the basic hazzards of trades involved. It was sponsered by the sherriffs dept. and cost only $50.00. It was well worth it and should probably be a licensing requirement in the future.

#4631 10/07/01 12:20 PM
Question,

Did anyone have a practical (hands on) examination besides the written one? Sorry, if someone mentioned that already I didn't see it.

Bill

Bill
#4632 10/07/01 02:29 PM
N
Originally posted by electure:
On the flip side of the CA situation, I'm under the impression that the IBEW is holding up the licensing procedure.
It seems that they don't want the powers that be to accept any type of education except for their own.

I'll do some checking this coming week. It's been a long time since I inquired as to what is happening. I find it hard to believe that the IBEW is holding it up as they were the biggest driving force in getting it passed. It shouldn't matter where you get your education as long as you know what your doing and have the ability to pass the test. After all this is now a State requirement, not a union non-union issue. [Linked Image]

#4633 10/07/01 05:23 PM
Bordew,
The CA licensing requirement we are talking about is not the CA State Contractor's exam.

There is a law on the books that will require all electricians in CA to be certified. It just hasn't been implemented yet, as the fine tuning and politics involved aren't quite complete.

#4634 10/07/01 05:57 PM
S
everyone's spittin' credentials , qualifications, etc here...same ol'stuff eh?

so allow me to pose perspective....

Some people have absolutley no qualifications, credentials or licenses to do thier jobs. The never had to pass an exam,SAT or test. Never had to fill out any sort of form , write any sort of resume', or take any piss test. As a matter of fact, they don't have to answer to anybody imparticular in thier jobs, or serve any one person's request. Yet these individuals are responsible for our saftey, finacial well being, as well as all aspects of our business life, and yes, that includes the issue at hand here.....figure it yet????.....well..........they are our political leaders
[Linked Image]

#4635 10/07/01 09:45 PM
R
Guys,
Let's refrain from propaganda on this site. It only serves to undermine our purpose, which is to become better electricians. I know some people with apprenticeships and experience under their belt who don't give a rat's ass about quality or safety, and I know some who do. It isn't about ABC or IBEW, it's about the individual.

#4636 10/08/01 07:19 AM
S
Redsy,
while i do agree with individual growth, the powers that be do not. Since art 100 has had this 'qualified' definition anyone connected with any sort of safety orginization has been trashin' our trade.
The Q' has been fairly repetitive.
It would seem that, with all the electrical orginizations we have, none are willing to set a benchmark for us here, except for OSHA through this backdoor definition. I tend to disagree with this as well as the insinuations and examples set forth as propaganda to this end
[Linked Image]

#4637 10/08/01 12:34 PM
T
Joe House bill No, 245 is currently before the Pennsylvania General Assembly the word at our local I.A.E.I. meetings is that it will pass but when is anybodys guess.I recently took a six hour master electrician test given by Experior for the city of Scranton and passed and you must show insurance certification to pull a permit.

#4638 10/08/01 09:06 PM
R
therain,
What is the content of the bill you cite? Statewide Licensing, I presume?

#4639 10/08/01 09:11 PM
No more sunglasses. It's cooling down here.
I don't express my "far right" political views intentionally on the BB.
I would just like CA to give a &^%$ test, and get rid of the 2 yr. experience forepersons that are so prevalent in the trade. Test us for our competence, if we don't cut the mustard, then don't let us pose as electricians.
Those that pretend to be electricians are blackening the eye of us that have tried to do a good, safe, and compliant job all this time.
Peoples lives depend on our work.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard