ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#45674 12/04/04 08:49 PM
D
Customer called and said outlet behind their New TV was bad. Checked and had 120V but went ahead while there and replaced outlet.
They called back. TV not working. But when they turn on a table light in different outlet on same circuit it takes about 3 seconds for the light to come on, but when it does they can turn on the TV. Does this make any sense?
Thanks

S
How did you check for 120v? Hot to ground or neutral/grounded conductor? Are you sure the 2 receptacles are on the same circuit?

steve

Steve
N
Bad neutral? Now days, the power switch on most TVs isn't a real power switch. There is an always-on low voltage supply that powers up the remote receiver, timer (if any) and monitors the power button. If the device on the other side of the open neutral also has a similar power-on circuit, the two in series won't let enough current flow for either to turn on. The lamp, however, allows enough current for the unknown other item to power up after three seconds. At that point, there is enough power available for the TV to turn on. In any case, they better get this fixed before they toast both the TV and whatever the other thing is.

/mike

Z
It sounds like it might be a bad splice making an intermittent connection under load. Are the receptacles the stab in the back type? [not a pun] I've found problems with those on a number of occasions, mainly where they've been used as a splicing means. Personally, i think they should be outlawed.
Also, check connections at the breaker panel if you haven't already. Scott

E
Because of the delay it makes me wonder about this circumstance (this is a wild stretch, but possible).

It's possible you have a series wiring problem. The power must go through the TV to get to the lamp and the lamp must be on to allow the current to flow. This could happen by a loose connection on 1 of the outlets or junctions and not necessarily the ones with the symptoms. If this is the case I would say you also have merged circuits somewhere to make this posible. Probably when you were there the lamp was on.

... You definetly have a poor connection somewhere,...and it's either arcing in a box somewhere or at the panel...Check your panel conductors..Neutrals especially..is there oxidation in the panel,at the neutral bar??... if the neutrals are corroded,you're likely to have a bad connection (high impedance),and the more the circuit is loaded,the more heat and arcing build up,...it'll be a good place to check.. Good Luck,let us know how you make out,..I'm sure we'd all be interested..I know I am..
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 12-05-2004).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
D
damn knob-n-Tube!

Scott
S
any aluminum wiring in this house?

F
A while back I ran into the opposite situation. Turn on a light and all was fine, then turn on another light on the same circit and after about 10 seconds the lights would dim then go out. What I ended up finding was the panel was next to a unvented dryer and the bus in the panel was corroded. I cleaned the bus and installed a new breaker. No more problems.

Thats how we do it up in the woods!
It sounds to me like there is a series circuit in there somewhere, instead of a parallel circuit.
Just my 0.02c worth. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard