ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
chimo Offline OP
Anyone know what the preferred detector is to protect an attic? I was originally thinking a 135 degree heat detector, but thought that might be asking for trouble, so then I thought about the 200 degree heat (& rate-of-rise) detector. Of course, at that detection point, you have a serious problem on your hands by the time the alarm sounds. Does anyone know of any reason NOT to use a smoke detector? Would attic heat cause them to malfunction? Dust?

R
Ron Offline
You'll need to use heat due to the temperature environment. Where in the US is the install? Is there an attic fan?

In my home I have a 135 deg heat with no problem, but I'm in the NE with an attic fan.

Ron
C
chimo Offline OP
It's in SE Ohio, no attic fan (ridge vent). So the heat does cause the smoke detectors to malfunction?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
The operating temps on MOST smoke detectors is around 32 degrees F to 120 degrees F. So cold is as much of a factor as heat.

M
By the IRC (International Residential Code) smoke detectors are not required in the attic. I was at a seminar on smoke detectors earlier this year and they had a "wind up" heat detector. It takes no electricity or batteries, just wind it up and mount it. When I get home tonight I will look for the brochure and post it tomorrow. If I was inclined to install a smoke detector in the attic, this would be the ticket

O
http://www.safe-mart.com/chraofriandf.html

We use Rate of rise heat detectors in attics

Link Copied to Clipboard