ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Al Hildenbrand - Minneapolis - obituary
by Bill Addiss - 02/03/23 07:38 PM
by renosteinke - 01/27/23 09:52 PM
Does NEC 551.71 (F) apply to dwellings?
by BigB - 01/20/23 10:46 AM
Power submeter connections
by HotLine1 - 01/19/23 09:09 AM
New in the Gallery:
Burger King crown sillyness
Burger King crown sillyness
by wa2ise, December 11
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 61 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 2
Junior Member
Anyone know if you must have a license for wiring residential housing with low-no voltage wiring in the state of Tennessee? Wiring including: intercom, surround sound(audio),network (cat5e), phone, cable tv, security? If so, any links to information would be great.Thanks!

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,876
e57 Offline
I'm not sure about Tenn., but there should be everywhere. Most places dont have one, but should....
Check your State License Board.........

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 08-16-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 21
what about new jersey, such as the landscapers putting in low voltage landscape lighting.?

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 2
Junior Member
Thanks e57,
The states website is terrible, but I did get in touch with them and any wiring at all, no matter what it is, you must pass the LLE test and get the license. Does that sound right? Thats what the lady on the other end of the phone said anyways?
Thanks again.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 886
The application certainly doesn't look too hard-

Don't know how the test is but it looks like a fair deal to me-

(Hope you do better on the test than you do with Google! [Linked Image] )


[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 08-16-2004).]

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,233
NJ, just got a new law that lic. low voltage people. It limits them to fire/burg alarm installations

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
Junior Member
In Connecticut you need to carry an L6 or L5 license.. You can contact the NBFAA (National Burglar and Fire Alarm Association) for info regarding Tenn requirements.. There may be different licenses required for different aspects of low voltage installations. In CT here there are different ones for burg and fire, communications, telephone, etc..

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *
2023 National Electrical Code (NEC)
2023 NEC Now Available!
* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Alan Belson
Alan Belson
Mayenne N. France
Posts: 1,803
Joined: March 2005
Top Posters(30 Days)
triple 3
BigB 2
Popular Topics(Views)
303,219 Are you busy
232,209 Re: Forum
216,953 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5