ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#40636 07/30/04 05:32 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
For those of us that own Digital Camera's?.
How on earth do you justify taking pic's of a really bad installation job?.
Also, how do you counter-act, the nasty comments from the owner of the installation, to bugger off and stop taking pictures of his wiring?
Joe T, has had things thrown at him, potatoes in fact!.
I tried to explain that I was with ECN in the US, that just made things worse, the last time I got pics from a bad site.
Joe and others, how do you settle this argument?. [Linked Image]

#40637 07/30/04 08:10 AM
Most of the pictures I take are where there is no one around, and others are those that I am asked to take to support the hazards others find. I even offer that as a service.

I have been writing articles in EC&M that covers this also.

I also receive many images and stories from readers and from people who visit our web sites.

I was caught once in a Kansas Holiday Inn in the kitchen taking pictures, and was asked to leave the hotel.

I did, but later sent a message to the manager (who was the installer of some of the misery) advising that he had some serious problems.

I will come back, and add some of those hazards here when I locate them.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#40638 07/30/04 10:12 AM
S
I hate to say this, but I am constantly taking pictures of bad installations that are owned by my employer. As such I don't get yelled at... well... some exceptions, such as taking pictures of installations done ay others who are permitted to use the facilities, and then only after the report telling them to clean things up. I was asked one time at the orange store to ask before I took pictures, but they were OK with it (I was working on some training for maintanence personnel and was just taking pictures of uninstalled devices).

#40639 07/30/04 12:27 PM
Mike,
I've yet to have someone balk about the pics... I even had one guy who insisted I take pics for the site of stuff from the previous HO [Linked Image]

When people do ask questions, I tell them they're simply for my personal archives & that I'm required to photo any electrical hazards I come across, per my company, for proof of existing conditions... I always assure them no names, addresses or faces will appear [Linked Image]

-Randy

#40640 07/30/04 07:09 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks for the comments guys!.
I'm not sure, this could be a purely New Zealand thing.
People here just don't like you taking unsolicited photo's of their property, which some people feel is a breach of their privacy. [Linked Image]
Sure, I do take a lot of pics related to existing conditions, but if people think there could be something wrong with something they have installed or such, they can get pretty "wound-up" when you start taking pictures of it!. [Linked Image]

#40641 07/30/04 08:57 PM
I usually get pictures "on the sly".
I'm pretty clumsy at being clandestine, so I get caught a lot. I've been thrown out of a few places, and there are some guys that just hate to see me show up, 'cause they know I've got the camera.

Generally people just can't figure out what you're taking a picture of, or why.
(As I overheard from a group of electrical contractors going into a trade show in LA:

"Look at that Freak taking a picture of the lights")

#40642 07/30/04 09:26 PM
T
twh Offline
My camera stays at home. Do unto others...

#40643 07/31/04 06:44 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I must say, that I do need to buy a better camera.
Electure,
and there are some guys that just hate to see me show up, 'cause they know I've got the camera.
I can see it now, "Quick, hide all that wiring, it's that Scott guy again, what's he after this time?".
Mind you Electure, EC's and other people outside of ECN just don't realise how important these pics are to us, it's a demonstration to a certain extent, that you really CARE about the Trade that you work within.
I ask the Question, how many other Trades have a BB that works as well as ECN?.
Twh,
My camera stays at home. Do unto others...
Sure you can come and take all the pics you like of my home installation and in the slim chance that you do find something, I'd be right beside you taking a pic of it myself!. [Linked Image]

#40644 07/31/04 11:13 AM
N
As an agent of the state, Deputy Electrical Inspector, I do take alot of pictures. I feel this is "evidence" so when the electrician complains it's not horrible to supervisors, you inspectors know exactly what I am talking about, I can plop the photos down and say " do what " ???. It it is perfectly legal. The job was permitted and I have a legal right to be there as long it is in plain view OR in a place the general public frequents. How do you think tabloids get away with some of their manuvers. You never know when you may need them for a court case.

Kenny Wilee
#40645 07/31/04 12:34 PM
T
twh Offline
The pictures are educational and sometimes entertaining. Standing beside a customer and looking at another electrician's work is something different.

If I needed to document something for litigation etc., I might use a picture. As to giving a customer the impression that another electrician did such poor work that it belongs in a record book - never.

This is a small city and I see the same electricians many times, and have worked with some more than once. I have borrowed tools from them, asked them for advice, bought material from them, and received work referrals from them. Posting their mistakes on the internet would be a pretty ****ty way of showing my gratitude.

it's a demonstration to a certain extent, that you really CARE about the Trade that you work within.

We are never going to fully agree on that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard