ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#39528 06/23/04 03:02 PM
F
Greets all ! I stumbled onto this website the other day looking for Panel Scheds.
Looking forward to the little infomation exchange going on in here !

I am a cradle to grave electrical contractor working in the Chicagoland area.
I am part of a electrical group for a Mechanical contractor. My projects lean towards industrial to heavy commercial.
I am currently starting to work on a design build power and controls for 250,000 sq ft of cooler/freezer . My weak area's are lighting , general power and the related switching , my strong area's are Freq Drives , Instramentation , TC , Data , and anything related to mechanical equiptment IE: Chillers , Cooling Towers , Absorbers , and Motor controls. I look forward to the info exchange.

P.S. I forgot to add spelling and punc. to my weak area [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Freqdrive (edited 06-23-2004).]

#39529 06/23/04 03:25 PM
M
Greetings, and welcome to the board.

Send me an email and I will email you some nice panel schedules in Excel format. [Linked Image]

I also have a nice spell checker (Shareware, no spyware or adware attached) that works with text input boxes found on forums and the like. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Mean Gene (edited 06-23-2004).]

#39530 06/23/04 03:33 PM
Freqdrive,

Welcome aboard,
You'll find the people here are happy to share what they know and help when they can.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#39531 06/23/04 04:13 PM
C
Welcome aboard Freqdrive.

Humm, It's ironic you have experince with Freq Drives. I have a quetion which came up today.

We have a client who has been having problems with some motor winding insulation breaking down pre-maturly connected to VFD's.

Any suggestions what to look for?

PS. they are exhaust fans, 50 or 75 HP @ 575 Volt, running at about 40 to 44Hz.

thanks

#39532 06/23/04 05:35 PM
F
Ok here's some tips.

1. Make sure its connected to a Inverter Duty motor. They have a better ins. class so the windings can handle the pounding it takes from a drive. GE XSD motors have performed the best for me to date.

2. Get the drive as close to the motor as possible. Drives cause ring back and can be damaging to the motor windings as well as the source equiptment. 10' is great if you have to be further than 50' contact the drive manu. and buy thier filters.

3. Consult the manual on how to lower the carrier freq try 4khz thats the lowest poss for drives at this time , the side effect will be "noise" it will sound louder. If thats a prob go to lowest poss. without the increase in Db . This will be easier on the motor windings and the transistors in the drive.

P.S. Make sure everything is grounded well ! but you prolly know that [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Freqdrive (edited 06-23-2004).]

#39533 06/23/04 06:15 PM
R
Welcome Freqdrive, you will enjoy the company here. [Linked Image]

Roger

#39534 06/23/04 07:47 PM
D
Welcome to ECN!

Where are you in the Chi-town area? I'm up north by the Navy Base m'self...

#39535 06/24/04 01:31 AM
Welcome to the ECN family Freqdrive [Linked Image] As the others have stated, we're always more than willing to share knowledge & "tricks of the trade" here..
As variable speed drives & such are a popular cause for other electrical system ailments I've come across.. (3rd wave harmonics for one..) I'm sure we'll find your input here an asset [Linked Image] As we hope to reciprocate when you need... Not to mention the vast resources in ECN's techical boards which are a great reference point for general electrical information.

Feel free to join into the evening chats in here by clicking the yellow "ECN chat" oval on the left of your screen.. Subjects from PPE, business methods & advice, to just open subject "free for all" [Linked Image]

-Randy

#39536 06/24/04 10:48 AM
F
Thanks all for the warm welcomes !

DougW, Im south suburbs Burr Ridge area. I have done 5 or 6 projects at the Navy base but, its been about a year since I had one up there...did some split units for some of the older barracks to provide AC in their lounge area's. You work at the base alot or just in that general area ??

#39537 06/26/04 01:47 PM
D
I'm a one-man "indie" shop, so I stay away from bidding base jobs [Linked Image] ! I just work in the northern suburbs, and live by the base.

The last electrical work I was involved in down there was when I was on the FD (long before becoming an EC), and we remodeled the day room in the old fire station as a "self-help" project. As a general description of the job, I think this sums it up... Imagine a radio playing, drywall dust in the air, laughing and joking, then, a simultaneous bluish flash and the telltale POP!... and silence.

Suddenly, from the (newly darkened) room, the voice of my Lt.:

Oh... guess that circuit was still live after all

We managed to successfully complete the remodel - minus one slightly welded screwdriver!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard