ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38568 05/26/04 07:53 AM
E
I have been wondering for a while why different year editions of the NEC code are used by different states, are there particular reasons for this or is it down to the individual state to choose? would it be beneficial for the whole country to adopt the same version of the code?

Great idea - I remember several years ago that the City of Los Angeles was about a decade behind in adopting new versions of the NEC. That's just one city, and I don't think that is the case anymore, but just to show one reason for the variances.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
D
I think it's the expense of providing books to the inspectors. I find that as the inspectors learn the NEC, and become comfortable with it, it becomes more important to them to stay with the most recent code.

Dave

D
I've also heard it explained that the cost to EC's and homeowners would be a "burden" to continually update, in addition to the costs for re-codification on the part of the municipality.

I know that there were some questions about adoption of the '02 NEC w/AFCI's being "too much" for some communities, which is why they stayed with the '99.

N
It all depends on the politics in the jurisdiction concerned. Some elected officials do not want to be bothered with building codes and others at least try a little.

ed
R
If I'm not mistaken, New York is on either 93 or the 96...can't remember which. I agree though, it sure is strange. I'm just glad I'm not a designer...I think they have it the worst for having to deal with this.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
P
Ryan
NY State is sort of screwed up. For 1&2 family dwellings, We have the NYSRC - New York State Residential Code, which covers houses up to 400 amp services - but also references the '99 version of the NEC - sort of- at least technically. Some inspectors use the '99 NEC strictly, but that is not legal. larger than 400 amp residential services and other than dwellings reference the '99 NEC. NY State for the forseeable future will always be one code cycle behind the NEC.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge

Link Copied to Clipboard