ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Al Hildenbrand - Minneapolis - obituary
by Bill Addiss - 02/03/23 07:38 PM
by renosteinke - 01/27/23 09:52 PM
Does NEC 551.71 (F) apply to dwellings?
by BigB - 01/20/23 10:46 AM
Power submeter connections
by HotLine1 - 01/19/23 09:09 AM
New in the Gallery:
Burger King crown sillyness
Burger King crown sillyness
by wa2ise, December 11
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 18 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#37677 05/04/04 07:26 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1
Junior Member
I have a pole with a meter and a service disconnect attached. There is a Mobile Home fed from there now. Owner is putting in a modular and wants feeder swapped to new home. Breaker is sized OK. Can I run 3 wire URD/USE into the house and run 80ft to the other end drilling the floor joists or conduit? Wouold a ground rod outside the panel location be acceptable?

#37678 05/05/04 07:50 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 849
read 338.104b 550.32 550.33 550.15 h 550.16 2002 nec
Most Mobile and manufactured homes require a 4 wire feed.

#37679 05/07/04 02:53 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 456
A modularhome is technically not the same thing as a mobile tye home, AFAIK.

#37680 05/08/04 04:04 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 32
With my mobile home, I had to install an external disconnecting means within 30 ft of my the mobile, with 2 ground rods there, and 4 wire to the mobile home. Within the home, the house panel neaded the neutral and ground to be seperated and treated like a sub-panel. My "service" was a combination service entrance and breaker box, I mounted on the pole that was quite some distance away from the ext disconnect. from that service I ALSO ran 2" pipe another 60 feet away to another ext. sub panel for a future shed / work station fed with size 4 copper. for welding and large 240 volt tool aplications, as well as a street light I installed on the pole itself. " I paid for the pole, and installed it" not the utility co. The Ext box for the mobile home service disconnect that is within 30 ft' of my house, also has breaker slots within it, so I can feed a hot tub off of this at a later date, instead of going through my int. house panel. even though it too is rated at 200 amp. I lucked out, my mobile home, 19 81 vintage is in great shape and uses all square D and leviton devices. [Linked Image] I also ran over kill, 4/0 4/0 2/0 and a ground (left over size 4 copper from the shed feed) for the whole thing. This was a year ago before the prices really jumped sky high. Within a few years I plan to move on, and use this as a rental property, as long as it survives, then replace the mobile with a workshop in it's place. Hope this helps.....a lil? Take care Brian

#37681 05/08/04 05:37 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,457
This is a job for a qualified electrician.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *
2023 National Electrical Code (NEC)
2023 NEC Now Available!
* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Posts: 75
Joined: June 2012
Top Posters(30 Days)
triple 3
BigB 3
Popular Topics(Views)
303,152 Are you busy
232,166 Re: Forum
216,899 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5