ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#36309 04/04/04 10:18 AM
N
This thread has several on going issues with bids and contracting.
1) scjohn has an over engineered project for the service. This could change if the owner will accept a change order. The job was bid with the 350 for the service so any thing different would require a change order to put in place.
2) The job may have a scheduling problem. We don't know how long the job was supposed to take as planned. Have there been delays beyond normal construction lead times?
3) The one that is costing us all money the HUGE price increases for steel, copper, and gas. Maybe the owner will be receptave to an extra based on unexpected costs beyond your control, but I would not get my hopes up.
All these are part of what makes contracting a gamble.
Who need Las Vegas, you gamble every time you bid.

ed
#36310 04/04/04 10:54 AM
R
Ryan, did I get the above correct?

-Jon

Hi Jon (Winnie). It looks like you summed it up nicely. [Linked Image]

I think that there is a lot of misunderstanding on 310.16, especially when you throw 110.14 and 240.4 into it. The only thing that I would add is that I personally have never seen 90 degree terminations, and it is my understanding that these terminations are generally only found on power plant and high voltage types of installations.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#36311 04/04/04 11:24 AM
G
scJohn,

Please post back after you speak with the engineer. I'm curious what type of response you will get.

With the price increases we are seeing I believe that everyone who does contract work will be feeling the squeeze this year.

It sucks to win a job at a fair price, do everything right, and watch your margins evaporate due to circumstances beyond your control.

GJ

And good luck to you! Hopefully there will be some profit in this job.

[This message has been edited by golf junkie (edited 04-04-2004).]

#36312 04/04/04 01:01 PM
N
I would just add that the terminations and the enclosures have to be rated for 90 deg to use that ampacity.

#36313 04/04/04 04:53 PM
I
I thought Golf Junkie answered this perfectly.

1) (mostly likely) the engineer would stick with his original decision for the 350.

2) (not as likely) They might accept the 300 and ask for a deduct.

What am I missing, what other options are there.

Sorry if I sound harsh here, but what business is it of yours what size wire is specified?

The majority of jobs I work specify wires larger than necessary.

How about 350 Kcmils for 225 amp feeders less than 100' long?

We have done that, and we did not care why.

We install what we bid, or we ask for a change and get one of the results GJ has posted.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#36314 04/04/04 05:29 PM
W
Would aluminium wire sized to be the equivalent of 350 mcm copper be cheaper and acceptable to the customer?

-----------------------------------
I'm having roast rabbit for Easter dinner [Linked Image]

#36315 04/04/04 07:11 PM
S
scjohn Offline OP
Iwire qouted:
--------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------

That is exactly what I have the problem with. And I also try to have a good working relationship with my clients. Yes I did bid this job for 350 mcm, I also had my supplier deal directly with the gc and owner on the lighting package without any % charge. I am an electrical contractor, not an engineer, but when I see where there might be a spec. that is beyond the need I will make it my BUISNESS to inform the owner/contractor, who else is going to. This is not just about the $300 extra I will pay for the 350. But also the money that was saved on the lighting package, and the main aic rating. I will call the engineer tommorow, again, and see what he has to say. If he allows me to run 300, I will offer to kick it back to the gc. What the heck, it will be an easier pull for my guys.
Thanks for all the replies, John

#36316 04/04/04 07:30 PM
I
When I said this.

I should have made it clear I meant larger than required per code.

I still do not see why you care the reasons the wire is larger than code required.

If you signed a contract for a new truck with a 5.8 L engine would you want your mechanic telling you a 5.0 L is more than enough and it will be easer for us to give you a 5.0?

Sorry I just do not get it, maybe you should have brought it up as an alternate on your bid.

To each there own.

Good luck with whatever way you end up going.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#36317 04/04/04 07:45 PM
S
scjohn Offline OP
Iwire, have you not read this entire tired thread? Why do I care?? I just hope one day you are on the other side. Lets say you go buy a truck for simple hauling, no major towing. The salesman tells you that you need to buy the truck with the 4.10 gear instead of 3.55's and a transmission cooler at an extra cost of $1500.00, you not knowing what he is talking about agrees.
John

#36318 04/04/04 08:28 PM
I
John I have read with the entire thread. [Linked Image]

I agree with almost all of the replies.

If you had an issue with the wire size you should have brought it up at the bid not now.

I just don't get it.

I wish you luck either way and I mean that, I do not want to see any EC lose money.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard