ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 470 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
I would have a talk with him first. Maybe, spend some extra time with him. I don't know how many guys you have, but maybe some extra one on one will help. If that don't work, let him sit. He maybe feeling like the third wheel around the new guy.

..OK,..Judging by the general consensus,...I have hereby granted him a reprieve,..and I'll have a good chat with him....Thanks guys,I really appreciate your input,and it all makes sense...I'll feel better doing it that way than outright firing him...I'll just lay all the cards on the table...the job's there for him if he wants it, but,.....he's gotta adjust his attitude, and not temporarily either,..for good..I only have the 2 guys Most Wanted,and I'm slowly growing in business, so I want a good foundation with my guys..but at the same token,not be a push-over..They have it good,..we start later than most shops,and I usually spring for lunch..mostly because they're always broke..
I'll be talkin' to him on Monday..I'll let y'all know how it went..and....THANX again [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
AR

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
E
One last chance then can him. As Bob said you are not a social worker you an electrician for crying out loud. Perhaps he needs a change of scenery. If that is the case give him a permanent one.

E
I fired my guy this morning and it didn't go very smooth. I've, unfortunately, had to fire several guys this past year, but this didn't go very good.

The guy was very slow and I wasn't getting my money's worth, but I fired him because he did a side job for a homeowner of one of our contractors, a job I had quoted. He didn't see this as a problem. He had also borrowed a ladder to do "a side job", which turned out to be this job. He slammed the office door and then threw the ladder across the parking lot. He came back in the office and tried to talk his way back into a job, then said "You haven't seen the last of me" in a way that was threatening. It made me think I should have a gun with me for a while. Not a good day. If anybody ever thinks it's easy to fire someone, think again, I don't like it, just do your job and we won't have these problems.

B
I have had to fire probably near a hundred people over the years and it only gets easier if you learn to establish a fair system. Verbal warnings followed by written warnings and a clear understanding that if it happens again they will be fired.

This doesn't have to be you as the bad guy. Just stay on top of it and TALK to your guys. You can even offer your help in coming up with a solution to the given problem.

I once had to fire my own brother and another guy that I had worked with for over 15 years along with several other guys. I had to do the week before Christmas. It was an upper management call and I was the lower management guy that had to do the deed. That just flat out sucked... [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard