ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 227 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32780 01/05/04 07:58 PM
J
We only use 14/2 nm.........but i have seen many installations that have been installed using the low volt wire.
We use 14/2 because it is always on the job site and easy to use.It is on a 15 amp lighting circuit ,usually from a pullchain in the basement.
Thanks wire : )

[This message has been edited by johnd24 (edited 01-05-2004).]

#32781 01/05/04 08:31 PM
F
On the topic of puck lights-I have used the Ieka ones that CRW described in the past, but I got with the cabinet maker and had a false bottom installed under the cabinet to mount the lights in and conceal the low voltage wiring. I installed a recept. in the cabinet out out of the way in which to plug the transformer into. I also used a dimmer instead of a regular switch. It looked sharp and the homeowner was pleased. This was on a total remodel of a high end patio home.

I just finished up another condo remodel recently in which the homeowner furnished the puck lights. They picked them up at HD. I only wished they had talked to me about them earlier though.

The cabinets were again custom made, but I had to try to conceal the wiring without benefit of the false bottom. Needless to say I was the one who wasn't happy about the way they looked. Homeowner didn't seem to care though. People like those things, if it was me I would rather have something else. Go figure.

[This message has been edited by fla sparkey (edited 01-05-2004).]

#32782 01/05/04 09:36 PM
N
Anyone ever have problems installing the transformers for the low voltage undercabinet lights? I did a job a month or so ago where the HO supplied the fixtures and transformers, but I couldn't find a NEC compliant way to install the transformer.

The 60 watt "transformer" (miniature switching power supply, actually) was a small (1"x1"x2") black plastic box with 4 wire leads coming out. 2 wires for 120V in, and 2 wires for 12V out. The instructions it came with suggested installing it inside a junction box with double-faced foam tape. No provision for a barrier between 120V and 12V wiring within the box, or lack of approved cable clamp to bring the LV "zip cord" into the box.

I refused to install them, and ended up substituting plug in "wall wart" type transformers from a different manufacturer. The AHJ agreed with me that he saw no code-compliant way to install the things. The funny thing is, they cost 4X as much as the plugins that I ended up using!

#32783 01/05/04 09:49 PM
E
Fla sparky to nit pick I will say you would fail inspection. Reason? Dimmers are not allowed to control receptacles. 404.14 E and dimmer manufacturer instructions which always instruct you not to control receptacles. The wiring for the lv voltage lighting system can't be concealed unless using a chapter three wiring method. Your false bottom cabinets conceal the wiring.

#32784 01/05/04 09:52 PM
E
NJ, I guess there really is no code compliant way to use these transformers. Many low voltage light fixtures have integrated transformers that mount in the fixture box with no separation. If these products are listed to be installed this way does the NEC supercede the listing?Or vice versa?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard