ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Broken Outlet & Dangling Light
by LoneWolf - 06/14/21 08:21 PM
How's all our Non-US folks doing?
by C-H - 06/14/21 05:42 PM
Where is Everyone?
by Bill Addiss - 06/14/21 12:37 PM
Conduit over Vinyl Siding
by Bill Addiss - 06/14/21 12:35 PM
Switched Receptacles -Top or Bottom?
by Bill Addiss - 06/14/21 12:25 PM
New in the Gallery:
2020 - 2021 Winter Project
2020 - 2021 Winter Project
by Bill Addiss, April 29
Garden 2021
Garden 2021
by Bill Addiss, April 26
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 40 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32750 01/01/04 10:03 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 558
OK,I,ve heard some of you talk about puck lights for uc lighting. The lights in question are 120v halogens recessed into the cabinetry.

I've never done any of these,whats the best way to rough for them?


#32751 01/02/04 12:15 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 18
I would be interested in this info as well. In my area it is the consensus that there is no good way to legally install 120V puck lights. Most supply houses won't even carry them anymore.

Wiring is no hobby
#32752 01/02/04 02:30 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 48
The last time I installed them I left a whip of greenfield buried in the wall. When the cabinets were being hung I drilled a 1/2 hole in the bottom lip of the back of the cabinet. I ran that out to a single gang wire mold box. I transitioned in that box to wire mold and ran the whip of the puck in wire mold.I mounted all of this under the cabinet where you could not see it,but it could have been done in the very back of the cabinet too.

#32753 01/02/04 04:07 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 18
ga.sparky56 (aka Russell):

I am glad you asked this question, as I am right in a middle of a job with a similar situation. The only difference here is that the customer has two cabinets that have glass doors (to display china I presume) and wants accent lighting installed. She wants the light on the ceiling of the cabinet (all the shelves inside are glass as well), but the top of the cabinet is apprx. 1/4" thick and I don't feel that it is sturdy enough to mount a puck light, let alone withstand the heat (if it is halogen). The top of the cabinet is accessible so I can devise a better mounting system from the top, but need to verify that it complies w/the CODE and AHJ as acceptable & suitable for mounting the light.

Pforte, yes, it seems there just isn't a good way to install. My customer did buy some puck lights at HD and they were, in my opinion, a fire hazard waiting to happen so I told her I wouldn't install those until I could find something better.

If anyone has good suggestions on "puck" lighting I and the rest of us "posters" would be grateful!

#32754 01/02/04 05:34 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 597


I'm guessing that this qualifies as certifiable head scratcher.

Is the fixture spec'd? If so, are the installation documents available on the web, or otherwise. Can you send them to Bill so he can post them for us?

I've done a couple installs of recessed low volt pucks in the underside of the upper cabinets, and that required several conversations with the cabinet maker, and even after that they still had to site modify the cabinets. I had to be certain to be present when they were onsite. A lot of extra time fiddling with the details.

The biggest single error is that the cabinet maker will take the physical dimensions of the light and make a cavity that will fit it like a glove but there will be no space for the cable connector.

Al Hildenbrand
#32755 01/02/04 06:16 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 558
All I can say at this point is that "recessed puck lights" were the words I heard from the homeowner.

The original specs were for low-voltage pucks.I have all kinds of info on the low voltage,but nothing so far on the 120v.

When I get something on 'em I'll post it.

Right now I too am scratching my head. [Linked Image]

#32756 01/02/04 08:44 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 86
The way I do them is install an outlet above the cabinets, horizontally. Do this for every independent group of cabinets.

Wire the outlets to a switch located next to the kitchen light switch.

The 120V puck lights come with a 6' cord installed. Screw the puck light under the cabinet with short screws. drill a small hole through the bottom, back in the corner.

Take the shelves out and cut the back corner of the shelves to allow the cord to run up the corner. Drill another hole through the top.

Install the supplied cord cap on the end of the 6' cord and plug it into the horizontal outlet.


#32757 01/02/04 08:50 PM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 62
Try using symphony mini track by contek lighting......all your problems are solved...its awesome !!!!

#32758 01/02/04 09:28 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 597
John D

Google didn't return anything meaningful off of "contek lighting". . .can you provide more information?

Al Hildenbrand
#32759 01/02/04 09:41 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 597
Belay that request. . .

I found Con-Tech Lighting .

Al Hildenbrand
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Posts: 74
Joined: June 2012
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 13
Trumpy 10
Popular Topics(Views)
280,362 Are you busy
213,433 Re: Forum
200,357 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5