ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
eesparx Offline OP
Hello, this my first post in quite some time.

I am a licensed master electrician in Colorado and am thinking of moving to the Las Vegas area. I'd like to know what is required to get an electrical license in Nevada? All I have been able to find are requirements for an electrical contractors license. I am NOT INTERESTED in a CONTRACTORS license.

I've contacted the governing board of electrical contractors in Nevada and was given a phone number to the local union. I am NOT INTERESTED in joining the union.

Could someone please let me know how one goes about getting licensed in Nevada.

I'm sure it would help if I was already living there. [Linked Image]

E
eesparx,

I don't have any knowledge of the requirements for Nevada, but it sounds like they may use a system like my state (Georgia). Here you are either a licensed electrical contractor or you have no license at all. There are 2 classes of licenses, but both are for electrical contracting. So you might not realize it, but you probably do want an electrical contractors license.

To clarify - In Georgia, we don't have journeyman's or masters licenses, just an electrical contractors license which is the equivalent of a masters license. I think this may be what Nevada uses.

E
eesparx Offline OP
Electric Eagle,

Thanks for the response.

You may be right about a master and contractor license being equivalent.

I should have given more info in my original post. [Linked Image]

From the Nevada Contractors web site:
"Nevada law requires an applicant for a
contractor’s license to demonstrate a minimum of four years experience as a journeyman, foreman, supervising employee or contractor in the classification for which the license is being sought. The applicant is required to demonstrate financial responsibility. The specific requirements are set out in the application form."

This implies that a journeyman license is availble in Nevada. Guess my question should have been: "What are the requirements to apply for a journyman or masters (if it is not equivalent a contractors)license?"

I don't want to do business as a contractor; been there, done that, here in Colorado.

C
I don't think Nevada has a journeyman's license. You can go to work for any merit shop and work as an electrician. In the future if you want to get your contractors license you will need to prove you have been a journeyman for at least 4 years. You employer will have sign certificates verifying this.

Curt Swartz
E
eesparx Offline OP
Well, after more research and changing the search terminology from "license" to "certification",I came across a web site that provides exams for Clark County, NV Journeyman Electrician.

Further investigation, led me to the Clark County web site. I have sent an email requesting info and am waiting for a reply.

Just hope I'm not spinning my wheels. [Linked Image]

J
Nevada has no state certification of electricians. This is done by each municipality; you need a "card" for every town you work in.
The contractors' board, besides licensing contractors, allows for "qualified employees." In essence, you pay the fee, take the test, but don't post the bond. As such, you can sell yourself to a contractor who isn't qualified to take the test himself, and have him use your license.
And, yes, I do know one idiot who fired his only "qualified employee" for being in the hospital too long. No QE, no right to do business, place shut down. Oops!

E
eesparx Offline OP
John,

Thanks for the info. email sent for other info.

Link Copied to Clipboard