ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2824 07/26/01 11:35 AM
G
glenn35 Offline OP
I would like to know if it is actual code or if only certain areas require grounding plumbing and gas lines within the house.

And if so , why?

My cousin is building a house where there are no inspectors nor permits required.

His water and gas line feeds are plastic/PVC. Once they inter the house the water line is copper and (not sure about gas line). Is he required to bond to these metallic lines? It seems kinda dangerous to me, being that if the main neutral ever gave up. It's load has to go somewhere doesn't it? What if your taking a shower and it decides to use you as its path? Singing in the shower is one thing, but dancing is not preferred. Comments please.

Thanks

#2825 07/26/01 11:59 AM
glenn35

The copper waterline would still have to be bonded. (and 2 Gr rods - check local requirements) You have to think of it as putting all your metal stuff at the same potential which means that there would be no voltage there. If a live wire touched a pipe and it was not bonded it could remain live and breaker would not trip that would be bad for you standing outside in a puddle touching the water spigot.

The gas line may have different requirements, you better check on that. Maybe someone else can add more info here?

Bill

Bill
#2826 07/26/01 12:12 PM
R
See 250-104(b)regarding bonding gas lines.
Then see 250-104(c).

#2827 07/26/01 12:33 PM
Redsy,

Thanks for pointing that out. Any idea whty there is a little x next to (b)?

I thought that gas was to be bonded, but I came across something in our Local Utility rules just today that said the following:

Gas service pipes shall not be used as a Grounding Electrode. Wires intended to be used for bonding shall not be placed in contact with any Gas Pipe.

What do you think they mean?
I should ask them about this.

Bill

Bill
#2828 07/26/01 01:11 PM
R
Bill,
The superscript "x" means that this rule is taken from another NFPA code. In this case it is from NFPA 50, The Fuel Gas Code.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
#2829 07/26/01 01:27 PM
G
glenn35 Offline OP
Originally posted by Redsy:
See 250-104(b)regarding bonding gas lines.
Then see 250-104(c).

I do not have a code manual. I am a lineman not an electrician.

As far as I know only one grnd rod is required here in Houston. At least that is all I have ever seen. Even within the City limits of Hou. where permits and inspectors are required.

I will check into the gas line further but will advise him that the cu. water line must be bonded.

thanks

#2830 07/26/01 03:29 PM
Glenn35,

Normal fare here is Connect to underground (metallic) waterpipe and 1 Ground Rod. If waterpipe cannot be used because it it plastic outside then 2 rods 6 feet apart and a bond to the interior metal waterpipe.

I'm still confused about the Gas pipe [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#2831 07/26/01 05:06 PM
R
Bill,
The gas line bonding is part of an overall bonding philosophy as you described above. The FPN even suggests bonding ductwork. I actually called PECO one day to inquire about this and was told that they actually look for it to be done. Also, article 250-52(a) prohibits metal underground gas lines from being used as the grounding electrode. My brain is too tired to imagine the difference, as far as ramifications, between bonding to it and using it as an electrode. Maybe because complete isolation can't be assured, bonding is in order to minimize potential.

#2832 07/26/01 05:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>My brain is too tired to imagine the difference
Simply put, it is bonded, but it cannot be counted as a required electrode.

I feel the same way about waterlines.

Rationale: May be replaced with plastic or disconnected in the future. The plumber shouldn't have to call an electrician to come install electrodes, and I bet he won't. So in go the dedicated ground rods today.

#2833 07/26/01 05:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>I would like to know if it is actual code or if only certain areas require grounding plumbing and gas lines within the house.
I say it is code. Bonding is a safety issue.

>Is he required to bond to these metallic lines?
I say yes.

>It seems kinda dangerous to me, being that if the main neutral ever gave up.
No, there is decreased danger when bonded compared to the alternative.

>It's load has to go somewhere doesn't it? What if your taking a shower and it decides to use you as its path?
That is not possible if everything metallic is properly bonded.

You are worried about something that can't happen. And you are trying to avoid something that can't happen by creating the potential for real dangers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard