ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 396 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
I dont mean to jack the thread but if i could expand a little here.
My mechanic costs me NZD 45, couldn't get a plumber here at home for 45 - 50, and joe public gets the pricker when i want to charge 40$ per hour for something that could kill them if they mess with it or burn their home down. I have to sit a saftey course every 2 years and pay for a licence, 4 years of study & i cant remember how many exams i HAD to pass.

[This message has been edited by old Appy (edited 08-05-2003).]

J
Apart from my electric work, I have had more than my share of contacts within Nevada's legal brothels. I asked on girl how she dealt with an undesireable customer. Her answer:
"I charge more. Even an extra $20 makes up for a lot of aggravation."

The corrollary to this is that you sharpen your pencil for the repeat customers who pay promptly, and know what they want!

S
sparky Offline OP
i can admit to prostituting my trade John, yet even a prostitute has limitations....

E
Went on an estimate the other day. The house is smokier that a local bar and the guy smokes constantly the whole time I am there. No way will I work there. Do I tell him what the problem is. Do I just forget I ever went and he will get the message eventually. Or perhaps send a VERY high estimate and not get the job. He also made it clear he is looking for the lowest price and "Never pays full price for anything". Yea, ok there Buddy.

P
Perhaps including a very sensitive smoke detector in the next quote might drop a hint? [Linked Image]

B
paul, that's a good point. Maybe kick it up a notch with a powered respirator and purple cartridges, or a Scott airpack like firefighters and hazmat workers use. It’s really not much different than having to work in a 70-year-old attic with pigeon and cat dung all over the place.

S
sparky Offline OP
yaknow, i've met more than my share of hearty souls in the trades, all good people fine and well....

yet the old addage "Nice guys finish last" has never, at least in my experience, been so applicable

personally, i'm tired of being some GC's scapegoat, or a kicking post for anybody

Now quite the while ago, when i was still soliciting corporate biz plans from SCORE (SBA subsidiary) and whatever other manner of high faluten ten dollar word spittin' guru's i came upon a conversation with a lawn jockey who's wife i'm sure tied his shoes in the A.M.

He eloquently stated the following in his best F.Gump style.........

(quote)

" well i just don't work for people i don't like"

(end quote)

the stark simplicity of it hit me like a brick, i went and threw all my 'how to contract' books in the roundfile.....

A
oh yea,,,,,that works,,,,,whack the price up to put them off and if they bite your laffin.

also works on those peeps who p### you off from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you start looking for "their" problem.
i feel a confession coming on.......and im sure we all have a few......!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard