ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#27627 07/24/03 09:12 PM
L
Just curious. I understand basically a meter (watt-hour) being a CT and all. But what would make a meter turn the "OTHER WAY"? I turn off all breakers to a residence and watched for a draw, there was a small load even with all breakers off. then meter turned in opposite direction!!! [Linked Image]
we have a lot of wierd things round here since Hurricane Claudette gave us a direct hit a week ago. Im about to go troubleshoot in the AM , and just wanted a little feedback here first. I have seen a lost neutral cause over-voltage situations, one busbar gets 170 volts when one light bulb is turned on in house.I was kind of leaning toward a bad service neutral on this one too.
customer complains of the main breaker tripping. ugh , ye old FPE panels

#27628 07/24/03 09:19 PM
C
well what you seem to have is what is called "meter creep"this can be forward or backwards.usually the 2 little holes in the disk stop this, but not always.a lot of the really old meters did this. but most new will not due to design. what type meter is it? it could be because the meter was hit by a large surge, weaking the braking magnets.but not usually. ok guys feel free to give it a shot.

#27629 07/24/03 11:04 PM
B
c-man, you covered it well.

LoneStar, just tell your customer that they’ve been getting a “huge” discount on their electric bill—probably 3¢ a month.

#27630 07/25/03 02:52 AM
Guys,
Here is something that is related to this topic, that I have found strange to say the least, for a large number of years and I was wondering if anyone can explain it, as I have no idea how this happened.
Right, my late Grand-father, was a Black-Smith/Engineer, when he used his Electric Arc Welder (a Young single-phase)in his workshop, which was fed by a Submain from the house, the Meter used to turn in the reverse direction, to what it should normally.
I saw this happen, as a kid(my Father showed me as G/Dad was hard-facing a plough blade) and I have never been able to explain why, since.
But, the Meter wasn't creeping, it was spinning like a Helicopter rotor!.
Can anyone give a reason why this might have happened?. [Linked Image]
Lonestar, sorry about the threadjack.

#27631 07/25/03 06:37 AM
R
Strapping a meter will cause reverse action.
Rowdy

#27632 07/25/03 11:31 AM
L
I've been Hijacked!! [Linked Image]

#27633 07/26/03 09:35 PM
C
rowdy, could you give a little more detail on "STRAPPING" a meter? trumpy was this the meter on the house are a sub meter for the shop?seems odd it would move backwards that fast.this is one for the experts. guys fire away! [Linked Image]

#27634 07/27/03 01:19 AM
circuit man,
The House and Workshop were on the same meter.
This was a fair while ago, though, these days a W/shop with any large current draw over here, would have it's own metering and possibly it's own supply. [Linked Image]

#27635 07/27/03 01:48 AM
L
turns out, a "mold-remediation" company gutted this house. they cut any wires in their way. Very sloppy. Lawsuit pending. Theres alot of "back-feeding" going on. Alot of "flying -joints" wrapped with japwrap. God only knows what I will find in when I get into the attic [Linked Image] LOL all this was just from opening the service equipment, and from stepping in the front door. Wires hanging everywhere.
POCO checked the xmfr, said all was well there.
Im not sure what you mean by "strapping" either.......

#27636 07/27/03 06:19 AM
R
Circuit Man: Strapping is the process of placing a jumper across the meter stabs and re-inserting the meter in the base. If both sides of the meter (residential)are jumped the meter will run in reverse with speed increasing with load. The method that is still in use by many people is to jump only one side and that reduces the rotation, and the indicated consumption, by half.
By the way, it's illegal as it is theft.
Rowdy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard