ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27008 06/27/03 08:13 PM
E
I am an electrical contractor from West Virginia. (I can hear the wise cracks comin' already... Yes, I have all my teeth, and I'm not married to my sister... **grin**) My dad and I are partners, we have been in business for about 2 years, and we have been working on the time and material type of billing system. However, we are getting to the point of needing to start bidding on some jobs, and are looking for advice. In particular, we are hoping to get a job wireing a funiral home, want to give a competitive bid to get the job, and yet, not lose our a**. It will be done in romex, 200 amp service, approx 100' wide, and about 60' feet deep. Is there a "so much per hole" rule that we could use that will make it a little easier, or some other tricks that can be used that might help us? What do you (the others) use, what has worked well, what hasn't? Any help or pointers would be of use, and much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time... ElectricWonder

#27009 06/27/03 09:12 PM
L
LK Offline
This is easy to bid He plants about 2 a week for about six grand each, you should be there for about a week so that comes out to about $12,000 for job Quick quote. He may want a cement vault for his service entrance and that would be an extra.
Sent E-Mail with info on job est.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 06-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 06-28-2003).]

#27010 06/28/03 09:37 AM
E
I do not know the rates where you are but maybe a case of Schlitz and some chewin' tobacky would do it. Sorry i couldn't resist. Any way after two years in business you should have a good idea of what time it takes to get jobs done. This should help you get the bid started. Materials are more or less a set cost and you should be able to figure that out.

#27011 06/28/03 09:59 AM
G
Wonder,
Per point methods are usually taught in an estimating class - BUT - then the cost per point is something usually settled on per individual contractor based on a LOT of estimates and CAREFULLY RECORDED jobs.

IOW, lemme see, how much did that service cost me? The day you wire the service, make certain you record every piece of material. How much did the rough in cost? again based on your jobsite records.

In that way, every contractor tailors his per point method to the crews abilities, and talents for the geographical area.

You can get a lot of reference material, maybe through Bill here, or at www.constructionbook.com

and maybe at www.amazon.com
but again, they have to be tailored to you and yours where you are, if you take one a guy uses in Colorado, and apply it unilaterally to you situation in WV, SOMEBODY'S gonna lose his shirt.

Now for the West Virginia jokes................ :GRIN:

#27012 06/28/03 08:01 PM
G
Good advice here from everyone.

A 200A service with romex should not be a whole lot different than the typical residential job.

Each bid that you do will provide you with valuble feedback regardless of whether or not you win the bid. We don't always aim to be the low bid, but we do want to be competitive. That way we will get our share without losing our shirts. If you are low everytime and are "leaving alot on the table" you will soon be out of business.

GJ

#27013 06/30/03 12:26 AM
E
Hey all,
Thanks for the advice... I hope I can put it all to good use. I think my only problem with the bid system is my quality of work. The work I and my guys do is of the highest quality, neat, orderly, and lots of attenion to detail, personable workers, and it shows... I have meny very satisfied customers. High quality work is hard to explane in a bid, when most geniraly, the bottom line is the (is this your final answer?) number at the bottom of the page. I just hope I can get it right... Thanks again for your time.

Link Copied to Clipboard