ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#25862 05/20/03 11:11 PM
L
One guy has over 4000 hours of experience in the electrical field, another has over 2500 hours. Then a last has (just hired) no hours, but he gets paid $3 more than the 2500hr guy, and $2 more than the 4000hr guy. What the HECK??????????!

#25863 05/21/03 02:06 AM
E
Well he could be the boss' son or he could be a really good electrician. Maybe he's a good salesman and brings in the business. Does he have specialty knowledge? Does he have a neat appearance and good manners? Figure out what this guy has that you don't. Employers don't fork out the bucks without good reason.

#25864 05/21/03 05:39 PM
M
Maybe the new guy got a haircut, wore a suit to the interview, and filled out every section on the application. It amazes me how many applications I get every year where only the name and address is filled out, or how many people I interview that show up in jeans, long dirty hair, sneakers, or something with holes in it.

Selling yourself is all about perceived value. I'll hire a guy with little experience who seems personable, has a positive attitude, cares how he looks, and communicates clearly over a guy who's been doing a sloppy half assed job for 20 years. Not that you are that guy.

#25865 05/21/03 06:09 PM
It seems that there must be more information than what you're telling us. Does the new guy have some training or certification that the others do not?

Bill
#25866 05/21/03 06:29 PM
B
Actually there is some interest in something similar - the pattern of new hires coming in a higher rates than the existing employees are paid due to them being in a 'different market' or era than when the existing employees were in when they hired on.

If, for example, the market you're in pays most certificate-holding entry-level people about $45K/year and you've been at the biz for a while and you started substantially lower than that wage, you may have increased your pay to $47K over the years. It seems unreasonable to think that some young upstart deserves the wages you have barely surpassed just for being in the right place at the right time, but that is the way it sometimes works.

At one time my ex came to our employer through an education/employment program as a level 1 tech. He worked for a number of years at that lower end of the scale edging up to a level 2 tech and knowing him, never slacked and probably made others look less industrious (he's somewhat hyper and driven). He finally inquired as to why he was 1 of only 2 level 2 techs in the place (about 7000 employees) and was told that they had a couple of level 6 techs that whose salaries they were 'offsetting' with his lower salary and grade. Don't you know he was overjoyed and calm upon discovering the truth.... NOT! Upon his departure to greener pastures, his supervisor requested an 'exit interview' and had the gall to ask the ex if he knew how much it was going to cost to replace him... more than double what they were paying him. With his family's history of strokes I am still surprised that he didn't keel over right then and there.

Life's not fair so you have to be able, willing and ready to go to bat for what you believe to be right.

#25867 05/21/03 07:13 PM
W
Well he could be the boss' son or he could be a really good electrician.
...Or he has one heck of a great resume,...or the word Nepotism comes to mind.

#25868 05/21/03 07:25 PM
T
What do you call this?

Good negotiation skills !!! [Linked Image]

Donnie
#25869 05/22/03 12:09 AM
L
Well, he has no experience at all. No it wasn't the interview. What I foundout (with a little research) He got the job through favors. The guy's dad owns a construction company, and our company does work for his dads company from time to time...........and I'm sure you can guess the rest Ithinkthis is bull, and very unfair to dedicated workers of the company! It has nothing to do with interviews, etc. etc.. Heck, this has outraged many workers. He suppose to had kept his mouth shut, but now everyone knows, and some are pissed!

#25870 05/22/03 01:05 AM
E
Sounds like the boss made a wise business decision. When I was 17 I worked in a matress factory for about minimum wage. This one guy sewed up the matresses and he made more than anyone else (about half and again minimum wage. This guy thought he was king. During breaktime he would go on and on about how much money he made and about how little money the rest of us made. After I left that miserable place I eventually started making some pretty good wages. Whenever I got a raise and I felt my chest puffing up with pride, I'd think of that guy who thought he was king and I'd realize that I was a peon just like everyone else. You never ever begrudge anyone for making more money than you. If they find a way to work the sysrem to make more than me I'm all for it. Everyone in the world is making less than Bill Gates. That's one thing we all have in common.
bob

#25871 05/22/03 12:01 PM
E
Perhaps the new guy does more work in a day.
I have been a crew foreman at one point in my life, and believe me, all electricians are not created equal.

Ed

[This message has been edited by electric-ed (edited 05-22-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard