ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

>> Home   >> Electrical-Photos   >> Classifieds   >> Subscribe to Newsletter   >> Store  
 

Advertisement:-Left

AE-Gifts, Affordable Everyday

Recent Gallery Topics:
What in Tarnation?
What in Tarnation?
by timmp, September 10
Plumber meets Electrician
Plumber meets Electrician
by timmp, September 10
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 611 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#25363 05/06/03 01:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 17
S
Member
I am currenlty waiting for the state (CA) to approve my app. for testing for the Elec. Contractors Lic. and need to start working. It could be months ( already 5 mos. ) before anything happens do to cutbacks within the state departments. I am just coming off of temperary disability ( 3 years now ) and can't work in the field for another contractor do to my injury. Anybody have any Ideas, I don't want to do anything illegal but need to pay the bills!! Eric

Tools for Electricians:

Tools for Electricians, Installers & Maintenance Technicians

#25364 05/06/03 02:09 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,056
R
Member
It is a hard call. Particularly at a site like this, where licenses and insurance are encouraged.
That being said, if you need to feed your family, you may be able to do work as a "handyman".
If you choose this route, keep in mind that you will be held liable for any problems (no matter how serious) resulting from inferior work.
BTW,
Is it possible in CA to obtain liability insurance without a state approved license?

#25365 05/06/03 08:23 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,233
H
Member
Stingray,

Do you have any any experience working as an estimator? You might find a job just going out and estimating jobs. How about troubleshooting? You might be able to do that? As an electrical Journeyman? Or Billing? It might get you a desk job until you get better.

#25366 05/06/03 09:24 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 17
S
Member
I have never done any real estimating, it's never appealed to me to become one. I did find out about the Handyman classification which can be rolled over to contractor when the license is issued without extra cost. I am going to find out about a bond or some kind of insurance to cover anything, not that I do sloppy work, it's just sue happy people blaming you for some catastrophy not related to the work. Troubleshooting would be great, I love doing that, wish I had alot more experiance with it.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5