ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I know this should go down in the Computer area, so it will probably be moved there sometime.

1.) It seems that many people have cable modems nowadays. Is there some type of software deemed necessary for security purposes? What do you use or recommend?

2.) Does anyone use any filtering software like 'Net Nanny' or is there an Expolorer component that would aid in setting parental controls for younger surfers?

I am accustomed to the Parental Controls available with AOL where things can be set for 'Child', 'Young Teen', 'Mature Teen' etc. and attachments (including pictures) can be blocked from being included with Emails they get. Are there ways to do this on a Broadband connection?

I've heard of software like 'Net Nanny' that can help limit surfing to approved sites, Do they work? Any recommendations?

On the subject of Email, can that be filtered too? I'd hate to think of little kids getting some of the emails that get sent to me.

Bill

Bill
E
I use ZoneAlarm, a free download from ZoneLabs. It permits you to select which applications on your computer have access to the web, as well as monitor, approve, or disallow any attempts to access your computer from outside.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/appli...ink.home&&zl_catalog_view_id=201

Ed

S
1.) It seems that many people have cable modems nowadays. Is there some type of software deemed necessary for security purposes? What do you use or recommend?

If your using WinXP it has a built in Firewall (Ive used it since ive had XP) Another good one is Zonealarm and its free [Linked Image]

On the subject of Email, can that be filtered too? I'd hate to think of little kids getting some of the emails that get sent to me.

An Excellent programme Mailwasher Again free, you can Block,Blacklist annoying emails before you download them.

Never used any content blocking software so cant help there.

Adaware is a handy little program to get rid of unwanted cookies/spyware which again is free.

E
I use Norton Internet Security. It is a firewall as well as an ad blocker. All banner ads on web sites just disapear. Also it stops most pop up ads.

Norton Antivirus 2001, Zone Alarm 3.7.143, and Ad-aware 6.0 build 162. Occaisonally use Spybot Search and Destroy for those things that Adaware misses.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Anyone have any children that use the computer unattended?

Do you use any software to help keep them away from the Bad stuff?

Bill

Bill
T
On the Internet Explorer browser toolbar,you could click on Tools, Internet Options,Content tab,Enable Content advisor,and choose the settings you desire for each of 4 categories - Language, Nudity, Sex, and Violence.
Is this what your looking for ?

Donnie
B
Zonealarm is a great firewall, and best of all the basic package is free.

If you want to test the security of your system and get some excellent advise on this topic a great site to visit is: http://grc.com

It might seem a little difficult to navigate this site but the time spent is well worth all the valuable info to be found here.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by bigrockk (edited 04-11-2003).]

Donnie,

Thanks, that's a possibility. I sort of knew something was there but never really looked at it. There doesn't seem to be a large amount of websites that have recognizable ratings though. I'd have to manually approve Nickelodeon.com because they have not chosen to be rated by the agencies whose approval is recognized by the Browser.

I'm thinking that some 3rd party software may be the way to go if they take the initiative to go out and rate common sites themselves to compile approval lists.

Bill

Bill
B
Bill,
I think you will find this link useful.
http://www.tispa.org/info/kinnaman/filtering.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard