ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
N
I'm looking at a job to bring CATV into a building from a pole across a parking area. About 35' span. Does anyone have a source for RG-59 (or similar) coax with a messenger strand for overhead use?

The other option is burying the run, but then I'm going to need a wet location cable, as signal loss gets REALLY bad if the cable gets wet. Not to mention the fun of cutting the trench through the asphalt! [Linked Image]

B

C
This should be pretty easy to come by but you will probably be stuck with a 1000' reel. You do NOT want to run RG59 if this is for CATV. You should use RG6 or if its a long run RG11. I would also recommend using a quad shielded cable. The links BJ provided are good. If you have a Graybar or ADI near you they should be able to get this cable pretty quickly.

Curt

Curt Swartz
M
If you are going underground through a parking lot have you considered using a trenching contractor that directional drills. I have seen the local cable company use them in a few jobs and they seemed to work out better than trenching.

They went under the street next to my parents house and were probably done in under about 40 minutes once they got set up.

The big advantage for the property owner is there is no sunken trench in their lot to deal with a year or two after the job is done. I am guessing the cost is less than the conventional break pavement, make your trench, patch pavement that a lot of contractors do.

B
If you found the right cable installer or repair guy he might horse-trade materials for a six-pack or a tin of coffee.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 03-28-2003).]

L
LK Offline
We used a cable contractor for UG run he has special equipment on a trailer. If you blink you will miss the instalation. These guys are pretty fast with UG work. For overhead cable we buy cut length from Clifford of Vermont next day ship. And they will help with recommend.

Link Copied to Clipboard