ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Steve_P Offline OP
Hi.

I am a new member to the board. I am also starting a mid-life career change. Moved to CT
a yaer ago from CA where I worked for some dot-gones. After 6 months of not being able to fin a job in IT I took a position as an electrician apprentice and enjoy it very much.

Here in CT I am required to complete 756 hours of classroom training. I am not too impressed with the Adult Education courses provided here.

Does anyone know if there is an Accredited online school that the board here in CT will approve?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

I
I can not answer your question but welcome to the board and the trade.

I have a lot respect for guys that jump into this trade later in life, its big commitment to make it to your license, a lot of getting coffee and sweeping floors getting stock and taking some abuse.

Good Luck
Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-23-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
I have been reading the forums here for the last few weeks and have thought becoming an electrician. What's the best way to get into the field? I have done some elctrical work around the house and have an Associates Degree in Applied Electronics. Thanks for your suggestions, ScottM

H
Steve,

One of the first things I would do is to go to a local electrical supply house and ask questions. They can tell you who is looking for a helper, who is offering courses to become accredited and where a local school might be offering courses. I am not sure about CT but in NJ here, a lot of people leave contact numbers in the supply houses.

B
Working behind the counter at a supply house is a great place to learn terminology.

S
Steve_P Offline OP
Thanks for the reply's.

ScottM, what I did was grab the yellow pages and called every electrician in the area I wanted to work.

Just get an enthusiastic short sales pitch together, it's easy.

Good luck,

Steve

S
Thanks, I may give it a try. I have become burnedout at my present job and am thinking of trying something different. This maybe what I need. ScottM

S
Hi Guys,

Having taken on the enjoyable experience of changing careers mid-life due to burn-out & a break down I have to say that I truly made the right choice for ME.

I am however very lucky to have hooked up with a small elect co that share the same classic car interests thru one of my car clubs and they have been really helpful and not as convicted to treat me as a young 1st year by allowing me to move along at my own pace provided they feel I'm being safe in doing so. I've been allowed to spec jobs, work on LV to 600v with no formal experience other than to pay attention and asking lots of questions when the others are there working on it.

Thank God!! because going thru the coffee fetch & mess cleaning I truly don't think it wld have held my interest long, lol. And the respect I recieve as an, ummmm, elder?! is greatly appreciated.

Don't get me wrong, it certainly isn't easier being older, the schooling (theory) is killing me especially trying to shake out the cobwebs for math long forgotten. But, if you can honestly find it in you to enjoy this type of work you will have no problems in succeding with a lil hard work, a lot of brushing up on math skills, and a whole lot of determination.

Enjoy your new decision & all the best in your choice(s).

-Greg

Link Copied to Clipboard