ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 113 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
maxecn Offline OP
Spec on the Rack-A-Tiers Cable Chase - Wire Bracket says "Maximum distance between each CC under floor joists is 16″ (when using under floor joists, the maximum distance, on one side from any wall, joist, pipe or ductwork is 12″)". For the application in the attached image, does this mean that the bracket must be within 12" of the center beam? Thanks!

Attached Images
cc.jpg
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

That's the way I read it.

BTW, we sell them here: Cable Chase

Bill
G
I am not sure how this squares with 334.15(C).

Greg Fretwell
M
maxecn Offline OP
Thanks for the reply.

> BTW, we sell them here

If I spec these then I'll let my electrician know where he can obtain them.

M
maxecn Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell

Wrt NEC 334.15(C), I'm told that Article 1103B says something like "Equipment that is listed, labeled or both shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling." Since the product spec says "Conforms to UL STD 2239" and if labeling and instructions are followed, I guess it's ok.

Protection-wise, what's the difference between using these (spaced at 16") and going thru holes bored in joists?

It's pretty much the same situation.

Bill
M
maxecn Offline OP
Originally Posted by Bill Addiss
Protection-wise, what's the difference between using these (spaced at 16") and going thru holes bored in joists?
It's pretty much the same situation.
I guess the difference is that for this device the cables would be below the joists, lower than they would be if the cables were stapled to the bottom of joists which I understand is not permitted.

G
Originally Posted by maxecn
Originally Posted by gfretwell

Wrt NEC 334.15(C), I'm told that Article 1103B says something like "Equipment that is listed, labeled or both shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling." Since the product spec says "Conforms to UL STD 2239" and if labeling and instructions are followed, I guess it's ok.

That still does not address the issue that prompted 334.15(C). You have wires installed below the joists. I always assumed it was because Harry Homeowner was going to nail up some kind of ceiling some day and "finish off" the basement.
Maybe if I get some time I will look into the ROPs to see why that was justified in the original article. It predates the 75 code, the oldest book I have (was in 336-8)

Greg Fretwell
G
There is not a lot of enlightenment in the reference to UL STD 2239. It just references construction standards for cable and conduit support devices. I doubt it addresses location at all other than U/V protection and water.

Greg Fretwell
Running boards won't offer protection from Harry putting up that ceiling. I always thought this was about discouraging him from hanging things from the cables.

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard