ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 113 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
lemahj Offline OP
Elk’s Lodge 11th hour ritual chime clock – maintenance and build

These old school custom built devices used a hand built radial sequencer to operate each of the lights and two tone chimes. A Hanson 600 series Synchron motor was used to drive the sequencer, and three single pole double throw relays were used to control the operation. Everything can still be purchased except the custom-built radial sequencer. This sequencer is built up from a LE grade linen phenolic ¼” thick board, with two rows of electrical contacts. This appears to be arranged as a twelve position radial switch, non-shorting, each at 30 degrees. The outer row is flat top button contacts for the lights, and the inner row is narrow diameter pin contacts for the chime. As an item of interest, the L1 - 120 volt AC and the 16 volt AC for the chimes are both connected to the same central wiper.

My question for the group is that I am looking for a “company” that sells the contact and wiper parts that would be installed into the linen phenolic board of this old school live face, switch gear.
FYI – If a modern PLC were to be used to duplicate operation, it would need at least 1 digital input to start ritual sequence and 13 digital outputs, where two of the DO’s would need to operate at the chimes voltage of 16 volt AC and the other eleven would need to operate at 120 volt AC.

So, once again my question relates to the availability of manufacturing old school live face panel boards. I have seen old school live face panel boards at power stations that have radial tap switches for step up transformers.

Attached Images
20230803_202843.jpg 2023_0809_Elks_Ritual_Chime_C0005.JPG 20230803_202611.jpg
lemahj Offline OP
Adding to my previous post. I read with interest under "Electrical Nostalgia - Avalon Theater - by: mxslick and posted by Admin" the examples of a Frank Adams - Major System theatrical lighting system. It's interesting that, as myself, replacement parts for this system appear to be available using web searches. What is not clear to me is if certain independent persons have made it a business or hobby to assist persons in keeping this equipment in operation.

G
I suppose it is possible to make a business out of this kind of thing and I am sure your county would want you to get a license (AKA business tax receipt). I would think of it as a hobby tho, until you found enough customers to call it a business. I do understand the urge to bring old stuff back to life tho. I have a bit of that myself. Like any business, your first problem is connecting with your customers.

Greg Fretwell
1 member likes this: lemahj
lemahj Offline OP
Yes, in my case with the Elks Lodge needs . . . a hobby, and likely will be a donation to its operation.

G
No problem helping out a group like that and coming away with a good feeling because you fixed something. Sounds like fun.

Greg Fretwell
1 member likes this: lemahj

Link Copied to Clipboard