ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#222040 12/06/22 09:28 PM
G
I guess we all know most small electrical devices come with combo screws that purport to allow slotted, Phillips or Robertson drivers but the only one that really works is the Robertson. Well played Canada wink

I just did pretty much a complete trim out at my house after the flood (replacing every receptacle and any switch that got wet). I had lost my Klein 15 way in the confusion and I couldn't come up with another R-1 so I started with a Phillips and a slot blade. Several stripped heads and a stab wound later I stopped. The first time I got out, I bought an R-1 bit and a R-1 screwdriver. The worst seems to be the 6-32 that screws the device in the box. Nothing really works but the R-1. (especially if they get a little rusty). I have a box of pan head SS 6-32s with Phillips heads that I have been using lately but these were from earlier before I realized everything in Florida rusts.

Greg Fretwell
G
I need to check my tool bag and make sure my Klein 15-way is still in there.

Yep, the #2 Phillips on the combo screws is usually useless.

Cat Servant
I think I was in the trade for three years before I started using the Robertson bits — no one told me about them. They quickly became my favorite bits.

As for the “Phillips” heads, try a true “Posidrive” bit. Y.ou might be surprised at how much better it fits smile

G
You are right. I have pretty much given up on what they sell as a #2 Phillips. It is too pointy and strips right out.

Greg Fretwell
1 member likes this: ComputerWizKid
Although I much prefer the Robertson drive, some older receptacles don't have the Robertson head. If you file the pointy tip off the #2 Phillips it doesn't bottom out on the head and has much less tendency to "spin out".

G
Thanks for the tip. I have a drawer full of pointy Phillips driver bits I can practice on.

Greg Fretwell
G
The square drive ones are relatively rare here with the pozidrive (double star) most popular.
I think most problems are down to quality of both the driver bit and the screws. Good ones are great. Cheap bits aren't the right shape to start with.
Cheap screws are soft metal. Also even good bits have a limited life before wearing out of shape.

Link Copied to Clipboard