ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
I got hit by "ransomware" last week. Encrypted all the MS Office and adobe files on my computer. I also lost about half of my pics. Encrypted file are a total loss. I thought I had a secure backup, however they were encrypted as well. All I have for my company docs is a current quickbooks backup file. I lost all quotes, forms, etc. Just a reminder to make sure your systems are secure and backups are up to date.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
I use a MS system. What is the best way to back up files? I use an extra drive to backup files but you said that was lost also.

B
That's scary. What were you using for a backup drive? I have been using network attached storage via a cisco router, and my estimates and pics I backed up in the cloud. My invoice program runs on another pc that is not connected to the network or to the internet. On my main PC I have a "Windows Only" drive which hopefully can be easily swapped out in case of an attack, and my files and programs are on the D drive (Raid). Also running ESET.

Windows system restore works great for me
Had a "ransomware" last week recovered just fine

F
just chk cntrl pnl and go to device and choose a backup option. your all data with be backup from a time.

Originally Posted by schenimann
Just a reminder to make sure your systems are secure and backups are up to date.

Good advice many forget, even myself... although it can be a challenge to do so.

I've had some issues in the past, but none severe. In recent years I've been using the Acronis True Image program that backs up my PCs to a Western Digital My Cloud. It does Full and Partial Backups on schedule, although dunno I haven't figured how to set delete old Backups on Schedule, so I have to check periodically to make sure the Backup Drive doesn't fill up.

Bill
G
Also copy that backup to a drive that is offline. Having the back up on the machine you are backing up is not a lot of protection. I have several disk images of different ages on a couple of offline drives. (USB connected)
If you get crypto locked all of the drives your system can "see" will be locked too.
You can also have a hardware or software problem that corrupts drives.

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by gfretwell
If you get crypto locked all of the drives your system can "see" will be locked too.

Didn't think of that... Good Advice!

Bill
Yes, Greg's advice is excellent. I have "the cloud" on the Apples, and my laptop PC is backed up on a USB connected (when backing up) portable type hard drive.

Work computers are managed by the IT guys, so I have no clue what they do.

John
I did have a connected USB Drive that wasn't being used so I took his advice tonight and backed the important stuff on it, then disconnected.

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard