ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
SIAME Offline OP
Dear friends,
what is the role of the electrical ageing test on insulation piercing connnector (IPC)?
I need some advice concerning this test.
This test is in conformity with the French standards NF C 33-020 version 2013 and NF EN 50483-5.

Best Regards
SIAME.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Hi there,
Could you please give us a bit more information on what you're looking for?

The best suggestion I could give is to seek info from an NRTL (UL, etc). I assume you are refering to tap devices similar to Kuppl-Tap, that allow a tap without removal of insulation from the conductors.

As to the suggested "expert" and link posted above, if you follow the link it takes you to a page of what appears to be primarily an HVAC contractor that also does electrical. Looking thru the webpage, I see no HVAC, or Electrical License numbers, which are required by State regs, but may be an oversite by this company.

As the OP in this thread is in Tunisia, he may look into an NRTL that is approved for that country, or an NRTL in Europe/Asia.

John
The electrical ageing test is used to ensure the ability of connectors to have proper resistant value during the passage of an electric current. An inspection is done after the direct current is applied to check the intensity and accordingly decide the next step of action.

An insulation piercing connector is designed for indoor and outdoor applications.

The IPC undergoes thorough testing before being certified suitable use

1) Control of the building and execution characteristics
2) Dimensional control
3) Materials control
4) Assembly and removal tests
5) Verification of the electric and mechanic characteristics of clamping
6) Verification of the residual break load of the main cable and the sliding load of the derived cable
7) Test for the characterization of the organic materials
8) Long duration ageing tests for the organic materials

The Components of the connector must be designed so that the assembly will not require special training and connections should not be prone to mistake on account of errors.
It is therefore essential that your electrical contractor possess the necessary skillset to carry out the work correctly.

Link Copied to Clipboard