ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#221103 01/04/21 05:34 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi Guys,
Up until yesterday I was using a really elderly version of Photobase 3 to do all of my picture
editing and believe you me it got a LOT of use for various stuff for work and other things.
It stopped all of a sudden and I can't get it to work again, so the question is this....

What would you guys recommend, for a replacement, it doesn't need to be anything
over the top.
I was looking at another program that does virtually the same thing this evening,
it had a price of US$129, I nearly fell off of my chair.

All I really need to be able to do is reduce the size of a picture (in pixels) from
my digital camera down to a reasonable size and make sure it isn't blurry,
I'm not about filters and stuff like that.
It also needs to be able to work with Windows 7, if that is at all possible.

Your thoughts, please?

Thanks,
Mike T.

Last edited by Trumpy; 01/04/21 05:37 AM.
S
Edited to add: the Software was Irfanview.

I used to use a very handy one, but it has been years since I got rid of windows 7. It converted file types and allowed pixel size compression. I do not remember the name but it was free. Try searching for a photo format converter for windows 7, or image converter. A quick look and I could not see one familiar.

Good luck,
Shane

Last edited by sabrown; 01/04/21 04:17 PM.
G
I can send you a copy of print shop 7 that runs on 7 completely or paint shop 4 that does everything you need if you are not trying to paste images from the clipboard. You can paste into 7. As long as you are only opening files, like from the camera they both work. I still never had a reason to use most of the new stuff in 7.
The Inpixio thing they sell on Facebook is good for manipulating images and you can really do stuff pretty easy but it isn't cheap and you really just rent it. I haven't tried mine for a while but they said it was dead if I didn't send them more money. (it was a year after I bought it.).

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy Offline OP
Greg,
Thanks, that would be awesome if you could send that over.
I tried using GIMP on this Ubuntu computer, but I don't know wether it's just me
getting old, but I didn't find it that intuitive and quite a steep learning curve. eek

G
Here you go

http://gfretwell.com/PSP/

The PSP 40 you just load in it's entirety into a directory and create a shortcut to the PSP.EXE file. It is not really installed, it just runs.
That is the easy one but since it is not "installed" w/7 can't see it to do copy paste or make it the default program although you can send files to it with the right click "send to" function. It is the easiest to run tho and as long as you are just opening files or using the browse directory function it works fine.

PSP7 is totally compatible with W/7 and it does get installed with the EXE file in that directory. There are a lot of features you may never use and it is not quite as intuitive to run but still not horrible.

Greg Fretwell
S
Tried Gimp also last year and though it is usable, it is very difficult for the occasional user.

Irfanviiew was for minor editing (balance, contrast, etc.) and compression and does not have the power and ability of Gimp or other editors.

Shane

G
I just realized I had all the files in the PSP 40 tab. You just need the ZIP.

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy Offline OP
Greg,
Thanks, mate.
That does everything I want it to and some more.
Oddly enough, it works well under Windows 10, as well which was a surprise!
I accidentally downloaded it on the the wrong computer (the two are set up through a KVM)

I tried a picture of 3550 x 2790 pixels and it stripped it down to 550 x 600, just like that.

Cheers for that.

Mike T.
smile

G
Good deal. If you have the patience to mess with the "layers" in PSP7 you can do some awesome photo manipulation. I just don't have the patience wink

Greg Fretwell
G
Originally Posted by sabrown
Tried Gimp also last year and though it is usable, it is very difficult for the occasional user.

Irfanviiew was for minor editing (balance, contrast, etc.) and compression and does not have the power and ability of Gimp or other editors.

Shane

I used GIMP for changing a few photos into sepia tones. It took several nights before I figured out what to do.

I've never used Irfanview but some of our staff do, it certainly has a distinctive desktop icon. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard