ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

>> Home   >> Electrical-Photos   >> Classifieds   >> Subscribe to Newsletter   >> Store  
 

Advertisement:-Left

AE-Gifts, Affordable Everyday

Recent Gallery Topics:
What in Tarnation?
What in Tarnation?
by timmp, September 10
Plumber meets Electrician
Plumber meets Electrician
by timmp, September 10
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 317 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 10
I
Member
Hello All!

Hope everybody in the mid/north east got dug out o.k.

I am going to add an outlet to an existing circuit in my garage. To get the run down the wall, I would like to use 1/2" electrical type PVC and same type of box. I am using a GFCI recpt. on #12/2 NM. I've read some posts on NM in conduit in outside situations, but haven't found any info for interior stuff. Anybody know of anything in the NEC on this?

Thanks much for your info!

Ian

Tools for Electricians:

Tools for Electricians, Installers & Maintenance Technicians

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 163
D
Member
334.15(B) - "The cable (NM) shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by conduit..." this section does not differentiate indoors/outdoors.

RE: 1/2" conduit
See Cahp. 9 Tables - Notes to Tables - #9
"A multiconductor cable ....shall be treated as a single conductor for calculating percentage fill area...."

I've never done the arithmetic but if I remember correctly from a previous post NM would require 3/4" conduit to be in compliance.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 270
E
Member
I've always added a set of fittings at the end of the conduit so that a 2-screw romex connector could clamp the cable where it enters the conduit. I strip away the cable sheath (for the part of the cable that is going to be in the conduit) up to where the fittings are, so that only the conductors are in the conduit, avoiding problems about conduit fill. This is equivalent to entering a box. I just consider the conduit as a long skinny extension of the box. I never heard of anyone challenging this set-up. I certainly don't see any hazard in doing it this way.

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 02-18-2003).]

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 10
I
Member
dana1028 and Elzappr;

Thanks for the info! I appreciate your help!

Ian


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5