ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#221014 11/17/20 03:12 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi Guys,
This might, on the face of it, seem a pretty hare-brained question.
How many of you guys in your day to day work as Electricians wear work gloves?
I happened to be at the local electrical suppliers today and one of my former colleagues was buying a pair of Millwaukee work gloves.

I asked him about this and he said "Yeah, I insist on wearing these gloves, would never work without them,
especially pulling cables using power tools, they actually make you work better and probably faster, knowing
that you won't take skin off your fingers or palms"

I thought about this for a moment and them grabbed a pair for myself, just to try out.
Good Lord, he was right!!, when you don't have to worry about hurting your hands, you DO work faster.

I mean, a lot of us here are probably a bit old-school and wouldn't ever be seen wearing gloves unless they were insulated or welding gloves, have a gander at them.

To be fair, when I was an apprentice, we did the odd commercial install and that meant cable tray, some of the edges
on that stuff were like razor blades, we were given Kevlar gloves and once I finished my time, I completely forgot about them sorts of gloves.

What are your thoughts on the use of work gloves?

Cheers,
Mike T.

Last edited by Trumpy; 11/17/20 03:13 AM. Reason: Poor formatting
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Trumpy #221017 11/17/20 02:44 PM
Trumpy

Hope all is well on your side of the world!

Personally, I like and prefer gloves, and have worn them for more years then I want to admit.

Now, as the "inspector", I still have gloves in my vehicle(s), and put them on when I feel the need. As the cold weather is approaching here, the winter gloves are already put in along with the work type.

I have 'job issue' gloves for the whole inspection staff here, both winter type and work type that are issued with the safety gear.

Stay safe and healthy.

John
HotLine1 #221025 11/19/20 05:01 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thank you John,
Things aren't "that bad" over here, they could be a lot worse than what they are.
I hope things are all right on your side of the world.

I must remember though, as an apprentice electrician, there was no money for things like gloves that stopped you from taking skin off your fingers, knuckles, wrists.
I was on such a terrible amount of money as an apprentice, anything you earned went into having a place to live, power in it and firewood to keep you warm over the winter and obviously food to eat.
I managed to buy a pair of cow-hide gloves and my God did I get verbally-abused for having them, spare comments like " Ohhh, he doesn't like getting his hands dirty!" and the like. grin

Now I hold the purse strings, it's a totally different kettle of fish.

Trumpy #221027 11/19/20 02:58 PM
G
I am not sure why PPE used to get such scorn but I was an early adopter of gloves, knee pads and ear muffs. Each time I got the normal ribbing but I am glad I did. I only wish I had started the hearing protection earlier.

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy #221028 11/20/20 02:27 PM
Nowadays the PPE must include face masks (disposable surgical type), latex gloves, and hand sanitizer for the inspectors. Office staff is the same, plus sanitizing wipes, and spray. Counter is plexiglass shielded, with 6' markers on the carpet for the line to maintain social distance.

BTW, Trumpy if you see this we are 'on the rise' here in NJ with 'new cases', based on test results. Around 4000 yesterday positives. Rumors of more lockdowns abound, with Newark talking about a 10 day shelter in place by the Mayor. (If the Governor approves it)

Stay safe to all

John
Trumpy #221029 11/20/20 11:17 PM
G
It is a great time to be retired. My life didn't change much. The only places I ever go are essential.

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy #221040 11/25/20 02:54 PM
S
Seems that I can't do anything anymore without gloves without wondering where all the blood came from.

Shane

Link Copied to Clipboard