ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S

Last edited by sparky; 03/01/11 09:56 AM.
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
Originally Posted by Tesla
I've had employees deliberately re-energize circuits that were off so as to stun or kill me. ( Drug addicts ! )

wtf Tesla?

dunno where you've been working, but that's just downright wrong

to put it in local jargon, some quality time behind the woodshed would be in order

~S~

M
I have been working on live circuits mostly tying in live from the pole. Now OSHA wants us to use safety equipment. THe only time I have been in danger is due to an apprentice. Whom @ the time wasn't awhere of 70E (if it even existed) Electrical Safety is all in the knowledge.

M
Trumpy
I think I must have been asleep when I wrote that. I think my point was more related to the lower energy levels than good advice. A single layer of tap is good for about 300 volts but tape has little or no mechanical strength against tearing or compressing to failure so no tape is not adequate.
A real use of insulated tools would be when performing live testing and troubleshooting which are about the only place for live work. Unless the power is life support i think most places can turn the power off.
So the need for insulated tools is less than in the past but until the power is proven off I think another level of safety is a good thing.

Sorry to bring this thread up again, it is quite old,
I was reminded of this thread yesterday, by a conversation (no, argument) I had with an "Electrician" who was originally from Michigan in the US and he had been here in New Zealand for a year, or so.

He was re-training to pass our trade exams and getting some work experience as well and him and his Tradesman were at the local electrical supply house, when he started having an argument with his Tradesman about buying some new screwdrivers.

The tradie told him, the company H&S policy is that you must have insulated screwdrivers and the guy didn't like this,
the tradie was summarily told that them types of tools are for "alternate lifestyle men". rolleyes
"We didn't ever use them in the States!, why do I need them here?, all of my screwdrivers are Kliens, nothing wrong with them, yes they are bare, I can cover them with thick walled heat-shrink."

The tradie and I got talking and I said to the guy "you need to get with the plan, covering things in heatshrink is not a proper way of doing things, for the cost of a decent set of common screwdrivers at trade rates, you'd spend the same amount of money and time putting the heatshrink on them".

That's when things went south, the guy launched into a tirade at me and the tradie, "So you want me to buy these stupid (expletive) plastic screwdrivers!!??, I wish I'd never moved to this (expletive)(expletive) country you're all a pack
of (expletive)(expletive).
The tradie told him to calm down and he did when I said that the best set for him had 9 screwdrivers, all the common sizes, for NZ$ 77, which is like US$35, they'll last you a lifetime.

Everyone walked away happy,
Apart from me, I forgot the 2 contactors and 3 light fittings I had on back-order that had arrived, I did get some nice ceiling fans though. grin

Trumpy:

FWIW, when I had my business, we all had the proper insulated tools and they were used when necessary.

Also, in the tools were the torque wrenches and screwdrivers!!

Never had any one accuse me or my men of being 'alternate lifestyle' people!!

John
G
IBM gave is an insulated Excelite in our initial tool kit but within months the insulation fell off the shaft. We called them the "red handle" screwdriver because the only trace was the red stain on the handle where the top of the dipped part was.

Greg Fretwell
John,
You raise an interesting thing......
Torquing screws.
I usually use Wiha screwdrivers (and this is in no way an endorsement), I note however that they have bought out a line of Insulated screwdrivers that have an in-built torque function.
However, I'm not sure about the US, but I would struggle to find any torque stipulations for common connectors.
Some equipment like controllers, state this in the manual, but if you get stuff off the shelf that is reasonably common
with no paperwork at all, how tight are you meant to tighten the screws up?
Obviously you tighten them enough, before they strip or shear off. grin
If that connector (or such) then fails because you have over-stressed the screw or the other part of the connection and causes a fire or loss of power to a building, I'm picking that you don't really have a leg to stand on, insurance liability-wise?

S
May I apologize for us Amercians for the persons lack of being able to express themselves using proper words and assuming anyones lifestyle choices.

Shane

Trumpy

The torque screwdrivers were for primarily for circuit breaker terminations, and control panels..not devices.

Specs are on the labels of most panels (resi & light comm) and mfg info for larger panels and breakers.

John
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard