ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trumpy Offline OP
{If this thread is in any way deemed inappropriate, by all means, please delete it.}
Hi Guys,
While this doesn't intrinsically encompass workplace safety, it could impinge on a workers ability to perform their normal day to day work.

Now, I've had a guy helping me for the last 4 weeks, he is 53 years old, awesome worker and is really switched on, however he called me up the other morning and said he couldn't come to work, because he couldn't walk.
He then said that he had gout, I'd never heard of this condition before, apparently, guys of his age and the age that I'm coming into in a couple of years, this sort of thing is rather common.
And it doesn't affect women like it does men either.

I read on Wikipedia that when you get it, it is terriblly painful and you can have an attack of up to a week?
Have any of you folks ever had this before, it sounds really nasty.
Now, I eat what you could probably call a healthy diet, I don't drink alcohol at all, I severely cut down my meat intake the year before last, because I just started feeling un-healthy and I eat a lot more fresh veges than I used to and pasta-based dishes.
My biggest down-fall though, is that I love seafood, things like oysters, crayfish when you can get them, I still continue to eat a lot of white fish.

I'm just a tad scared that this could be me, in a few years time.
I'd like to hear from folks that have possibly had this condition before and how you dealt with it?

Thanks,
Mike T,
smile

Last edited by Trumpy; 09/08/20 02:58 AM. Reason: Typo's
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
They have suspected I had gout several times but my uric acid levels don't support that and they are calling it psoriatic arthritis for lack of a better diagnosis. The symptom is inflammation in the joints and the pain can be pretty bad along with loss of strength and flexibility. I am dealing with it with exercise (physical therapy).
Essentially I am just gutting my way through.
Gout itself is a similar condition but there is a chemical problem (crystals in the joints) they can identify but the treatment is pretty much the same, If you can take them they will give you NSAIDs from OTC Ibuprofen up to harder stuff like Diclophenac. I will take one occasionally but not often because it is a stomach irritant. You can also use steroids like Prednisone but that comes with it's own list of dangers. In my case they also want to give me autoimmune drugs like Methotrexate but I wouldn't touch that stuff.

Greg Fretwell
First YES it is painful, and it is a uric acid issue. I've had it two or three times and I wish it on no one!!

The first time, I thought I broke my large toe on my right foot. It got more painful within 12 hrs., and I would up in the ER, as it was 'off hours' for my Doc. 1 shot in the ER, off for painful x-rays, and NO, my toe was not broken.

They gave me a script for Prednisone, dose pack, put me in a wheel chair and rolled me out. The dose pack worked great, and the following evening the pain was tolerable. I was out of work for three days.

The recurring lead to me having a 'dose pack' on hand. I still have one at the ready. I also have Alpurinol (sp) which is to keep the uric acid at bay.

So far, it's under control. I have to be careful with the Pred, as I also have some gastro issues.

The old adage was it's a drinking mans illness, but that is not the case.

Yes, the pain was the worst.

John
Trumpy Offline OP
Hey thanks for the replies, Greg and John,
After having done a bit more research into this condition, I think my guy Richie, was quite right.
He doesn't drink a lot, he eats just like you and I would.

He did mention though, that since having that attack, he had read somewhere, that having something as simple as a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar every morning, actually prevents the onset of a gout attack and helps the body to bring down the Uric Acid levels in your body.

However,
With further research, what causes gout are things called purines, they are in a lot of the things we eat and drink these days, by the way foods are processed.
Beer is one of the worst, seafood is the next one down, gout can also be triggered by such things as green beans or even so called fresh peas, it is different for everyones body make-up.

N
I take Allopurinol for gout, have not had a outbreak since I started taking it, and would not wish a outbreak on anyone. It can be controlled by diet but is pretty restrictive on what can be eaten.

I was told shellfish, organ meats, and over indulgence in alcoholic beverages MAY trigger an attack.

Then another doc said eat in moderation and I should be fine, but take the med daily.

So far, I've been OK. Shellfish (shrimp) is a favorite, liverwurst too, and a 12 pack of Modelo or Sam Adams can last a month or more.

John
M
And gout is associated to kidney stones. I have had painful stones 2x and gout like symptoms a few times.

Link Copied to Clipboard